Weight problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

i have been on Citalopram now for over 4 weeks and I have gained 5kg 😐  which is making the depression and anxiety a lot harder to cope with. 

I am on 20mg a day and haven't had any positive effects, I'm starting to wonder should I continue? 

I exercise and and eat well but I feel like I'm getting bigger by the day!!!! 

Anyone else had this?

thanks x 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi your the 1st iv heard of with weight gain on this .. I did the same on mirt.. I totally understand how your feeling I had a mental breakdown because of it .. do you find your craving at all? Do u drink plenty of water like 2 litres aday?
    • Posted

I drink around 1 litre a day, defiantly not enough 😔 

I dont think im craving anything more than I would usually. I actually don't think I am eating as much as before!

• Posted

Try and drink 2 litres plus a day it kept the weight down with me when I started lithium.. my phyciatrist told me to do that.
  • Posted

I have been gaining weight was well. 😞

I was on 10 mg for 4 weeks and then 20 mg for another 4 weeks. Because I have gotten highly agitated the last few days and still have anxiety, my psychiatrist thinks I am over drugged and wants me to go back down to 10 mg. Hopefully that will help with the weight gain.

• Posted

ahh 😔 I was given 20mg straight away but I don't actually see any improvement 😔 I feel like it might just be a waste of time. I am going to see a new psychiatrist on Thursday, as my previous one was definatly not helping but making me worse!! i hope we feel better soon, and stop gaining weight!!
    • Posted

I hope your new psychiatrist can help you. I can't imagine starting at 20 mg. Maybe he/she can just lower your dose and see if that helps. 

It is such a challenge figuring out what works and how much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.