Weight probs after hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I had a LAVH + BSO 17 months ago, I generally feel great but I am having the dickens of a job losin some weight I gained just before (I was bed ridden for about 4 weeks and stuffed my face, not ging to lie), I put on 1/2 stone and do you think I can shift it? NO, grrr mad. I walk my dogs every day for about an hour and have just started to do Mr Motivator 10 minute workouts again (helped in the past), I also use an electric treadmill regularly, I'm vegetarian so no fatty meat etc, I have cut out most of my cheese intake as well, I seem to be getting nowhere, anyone had similar problems? were you successful losing the weight eventually or like me are you still struggling? If you lost the weight how did you do it?

Thanks in advance.

Phoebe.

PS. I would post this in the diet forum but with the hysterectomy link I hoped that someone here could give some advice. Thanks again. 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi phoebe,

I had hysterectomy 9 years ago and exactly like you i did my mr motivator dvd and walked a lot, I didnt see much difference, until i started swimming. 

I am recovereing from a bowel op and have been able to swim only the last 3 weeks or so and I can already see my muscles toning and my tummy pulling back in again, its amazing what being weighless in the water can do not only for your health but also enabling you to move more freely. Maybe it might help you.

I also follow a lean in 15 Guru who is amazing not only for diet advice but for exercise, though its all too high impact at the moment but food advice is brilliant you can find him on itv weds mornings at 11am.

I also take neat coconut oil which helps with many things, skin, hair, food absorbtion and much much more.

Keep well and i hope you start loosing those extra few pounds

Mik x

• Posted

Hi Mik and thanks for your reply.

The only thing that going in the water would help me with is drowning.......can't swim, wish I could. I will check out the Guru person on ITV next week wonder if he is on catchup? I will continue with Mr Motivator for now and someone else has suggested Slimming World, I will find out where the local meeting is, my tummy muscles are rubbish since the hysterectomy, I try not to look at myself in the full length mirror...........eeeeeeeeeeeeeek eek that's too scary.

Phoebe.

• Posted

Look for the body coach or lean in 15. x2 books (1 realising this week) a YouTube Channel, Instagram, Twitter, and snapchat account and over a million subscribers. He knows what he's doing and best of all its not a diet just a different way of fuelling your body, I've been following him since he started and he's made a big difference in my life, check it out and good luck, let us know how you get on. Mik xx
    • Posted

Hi Mik. I had anterior repair 6mths ago. So minor compared to most on here. I had been wanting to loose 1/2 - 3/4 stone for a while even before op. 6wks ago decided to do Jenny Craig as I just couldn't work out what food had what calories or portion size. I lost 5kgs. I think 3.5kg is 1/2 stone? Best thing about JC is being able to go onto maintenance once goal reached. Otherwise if you jump straight off I'm sure weight would creap back on. Big part of dieting is firstly loosing the unwanted kg, then next big thing is being able to keep it off. As with any diet, exercise has to play a good part. I've been aiming for 10,000 steps a day. Not achieved everyday. I have iwatch counting steps & feeding to iph when in range. The walk needs to be brisk as possible for as long as possible. Gotta get the heart rate right up to really burn some extra calories. Hope you can figure out a way to kick those pounds off in a way that works for you as its sure a great thing to have to put a belt on to keep favourite jeans up after they were getting too tight to wear!! From Robyn
  • Posted

Hi. Are you taking hrt?
    • Posted

I was told by Dr that half a stone gain after menopause is normal due to lack of hormones but not much more. Even if you had already gone through menopause ovaries still produce small amounts of hormones so can change balance. I went straight onto hrt as was 40 when had my BSO and put on 3 stone in 6 months. Including eating through boredom after op too. Changed hrt and mentally I was in better place and started exercising and it is slowly coming off now. 2 stone gone. I was also told that wheat can affect more after menopause for bloating and small weight gains but don't know how true that is. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks, I have cut bread out.........almost and have things like bikkies

And cake very rarely, I went through menopause when I was 48, am

Now 63. Before I had and the reason I had the hysterectomy done

I lost almost half my blood volume and spent almost 4 weeks in bed

Unable to do much other than sleep and feed my face, I absolutely

Craved chocolate cake Sainsbury s do lovely choc sponge fingers....

Yum, so only me to blame, I will work hard now to lose the weight. My

Stomach muscles have got so flabby and that makes things look

So much worse.

• Posted

I did same feeling bit sorry for myself at the time as friends still having babies. My mum had same op at 75 and craved chocolate cake too but funny enough started having hot flushes so those ovaries were still trying beforehand lol. Pilates is meant to be good for toning up. All the best
  • Posted

Hi phoebe,

Good to hear that you are feeling good.

I am 3 months post op TAH. Lost about 8 kg of weight. I cut off sugar, oily and processed food from my diet. Took also some Chinese herbs and went for acupuncture to ease post op body swell and ache. Exercise a bit on treadmill and some yoga. Yet to start on strenuous exercise.

• Posted

Thanks Sue,

It seems to be a comon problem, glad you are doing so well, keep up the good work as regards diet etc.

Men don't realise how lucky they are, do they?

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi I had the same op and put loads of weght on due to being immobile and eating all the wrong things delicious though ;-). I did the app myfitnesspal essentially calorie counts cut bread and potatoes to the minimum and did high intensity training twice a week for 20 mins and lost over a stone. I still had a little of everything I loved as long as I counted into my allowance. Ive since gained back 4lbs slipped back into extra helpings of nice things. I find that I have to revisit every 3 months or so to keep those few pounds off! But now I know what to do it it's easier to get it back off :-)
    • Posted

Thanks Tracy, I am particularly fed up this week, I love buying stuff on ebay rolleyes yeah I know, anyway I won this lovely top brand new with tags and all and it was too tight over my tummy sad, my tummy muscles are so floppy, they weren't like that before the op, what exercises did you do? I am keeping up with Mr Motivator as this has worked in the past and doing the fast exercises as well as the beginner ones, the first 10 minutes I did of the fast one I thought I would need a dfibrilator LOL! but it is easier now, I also have one of those big exercise balls languishing in the shed that I am going to get out tomorrow and start using, I have been using my exercise bike and treadmill as well as walking the dogs for an hour in the morning so I'm not exactly sitting on my btm biggrin. The new top is now back up for auction in aid of the Eve Appeal, along with another few things that don't fit anymore.

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi I know that feeling when you're belly is bulging. I have some great control knickers that go up to the bust to smooth it out for nights out. Usually I do cycling on my back to work my abs, Russian twists, I dont do full sit ups just up to my knees and the plank. Davina does some good 15 minute work outs. I luckily exercised my abs pre op to try and save too much damage.

Your certainly not just sitting around it may well boil down to tweaking the diet. High intensity workouts although are a killer help you burn fat after the actual workout. But you can't beat the fun of Mr Motivator I still have the videos lol.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.