Weight questiony

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.  I have used opioids for 5 years now and have tapered off and stopped for the last time.  They just don't do anything for me anymore.  In the beginning I went from a size 12 to almost a 4.  This past year I have been taking them less often and smaller amounts than I did before.  I am now in a 14 and have that protruding belly and feel swollen all the time no matter the healthy food I eat and the exercise I do, and have done for years.  Nothing is even making a dent.  I read this is normal when you stop these.  I am trying to lose some weight since I'm getting married in a couple of months.  Has anyone else had this problem and how long did it take to get rid of the belly, if you did at all?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So you stopped and gained weight? I would think it can happen the other way around due to constipation... Are you experiencing an upset stomach or diareha? Has your diet or activity changed? 

So, at the beginning when you stopped you went down 8 dress sizes but have now gone up?

The only thing I can think of is that sugar helps with symptoms of withdrawl (e.g. candy). There seems to be some connection in the brian between opioid receptors and refined sugars. Not sure what it is, but I am tapering now and have never been a sugar person (I will bake a cake eat a peice, and my partner will have the rest. I won't bake another for over a month.... but when tapering I crave sugar), but I find myself eating a candy or two daily (candy that has been in my desk drawer for years now needs replacement). Could this be the problem for you? Have you turned to more refined sweets to counteract the cravings?

Otherwise, I would think that the digestive impacts balance out and would if anything be more flushing. how are your bowel movements and urination? A re you 'moving' regularly? Maybe you are retaining water? Jeez, I didn't realise the weight gain aspect and don't really want that myself. Let me look at some research and get back to you.

• Posted

Almost exactly the same with me! I was size 8 on opiates, now a 14/16 and with the exact same tummy issue. Absolutely no amounts of running/weightlifting helped my weight...if you find a reason or solution then please do tell!
  • Posted

I was on oxy for 10 months and lost weight because it killed my appetite. After I stopped taking it my appetite came back and I gained more than I had lost.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.