Weight training and Baclofen

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

I'm hoping someone with experience with this medicine can share their experiences, or whether someone in the know can help me.

Almost 4 years ago, as a result of an unprovoked assault I suffered quite a severe brain injury. I was in a coma for 3 months and had to learn to walk and talk again. Although I do have some remaining problems with my balance and speech I have recently decided to get into shape by exercising and working out. One problem I have, although not too serious and more of an annoyance is Ataxia, which is basically shaking either when I stand up, or sitting upright.

I decided to give some muscle relaxers a try, because I was told it may help with my shaking. The medicine is Baclofen. I've only been taking it a few days, but after reading up on it, I made some quite worrying discoveries. Working out is quite important to me, and I have managed to work up quite a physique, which is something I put quite a lot of effort into now. I have read that Baclofen works by reducing muscle spasticity AND muscle tone. Therefore, will taking this medicine eventually cause muscle atrophy? If this is the case, I would probably stop taking it, as I have managed without it fine. I wouldn't want to work out, just for the medicine to 'waste' it all way.

Hope someone can help me.

Many thanks.

Michael

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think I'd do more good than harm, it's not like you are a couch potato smile
  • Posted

Ok, thanks mate. So you reckon as long as I keep exercising at my current rate, there shouldn't be any noticeable changes?
  • Posted

Yeah. No discernible changes, just keep a weekly eye on your weight, (generally speaking) losing weight = losing muscle smile
  • Posted

Hi Michael,

I used to be on Baclofen a few years ago now, it was prescribed to me for pain in various muscles caused by a nerve disorder.

I lost weight on it in the first month, since then it has been changed numerous times. It is not one I would recommend to anyone, I did read up on other stories where people had similar issues with it.

Regards,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.