Weight training and FMS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

So I have been diagnosed with FMS for about 3 weeks and yesterday I thought I would try some very lightweight training. 5kg weight I positioned myself on all fours and with each hand finished 30 lifts and repeated this four times over the day.

Today it is now 13:20 and I am still in bed with my complete body in agony, particularly my lower arms and hands also my lower legs and feet.

my feet are the most painful. 

I used to be a very fit 40 year old and now at 43 It seems like I can't even do light training.

What would you guys out there say.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Graham,

I experience similar problems. Last week I did a yoga class that was more intense than my usual class. Before the fibro hit I might have slighly aching muscles after a class like this - however, because of the fibro I was aching all over for 2/3 days afterwards. I think we have to be careful not to push ourselves too hard. We need to build up slowly. I'm 29 and have always been quite fit and exercise regularly, so this is very frustrating for me. 

Hopefully you can build up the weight lifting more gradually - I think it's a good idea to keep your muscles strong. Good luck.

• Posted

It's so frustrating as before this I was running up and ladders and scaffolding on building sights. I never used to use a lift but now I use one even just for one floor.

Usually it would be nice to hear that other people are in the same boat as you but this is such a wicked thing to have I wish that I had a cure..

• Posted

I think everyone on here can sympathise with your situation. On a better day it is so easy to overdo it by doing things that you used to do with ease thinking 'it will be ok this time'. It's difficult to get it right and very frustrating. I would say that swimming is the best form of exercise but I know it doesn't suit everyone. Getting in the water takes the weight off you and the movement is smooth not jarring. However, I used to swim 50 lengths every other day and now I sometimes get wiped out doing 32 once or twice a week. I had planned to go today but my body just wouldn't let me. 1(slow) km on my exercise bike (smooth exercise again) had to be enough although it doesn't satisfy me mentally. I try to do squats every day to keep the strength in my legs and arm strengthening push ups on the bottom stair but I know today they are going to be hard.

Sorry if I haven't been very encouraging. It must be good that you had a go - perhaps four times in the day was too much. I am sure you'll find the right balance. Lots of people on here have good advice and experiences to share. Many say a positive attitude is most important.

• Posted

if you knew the sort of  things  that leave me crippled youd laugh just being a passenger in a car makes me tired, leaning on the table with my elbows will give me such pain in my neck you wouldnt belive it .

and iv even tried yoga and been so crippled the next day i couldnt move.  iv got  a tred mill now  i jump on a couple of times a day for just a few minutes no more than 5 other wise id be so stiff i wouldnt be able to move.

all i can say is to walk as much as you can ,swim if you can, dont give up moving all you will get very stiff, its very frustrating . when your not natrualy a coach potatoe but trust me it dose not get easier the more you do .

i pushed myself before my diognoses thru 6weeks of step arobics it got harder and more painful every day until i nearly collasped the pain was awful and i could hardly breath . it because we make to much lactic acid it builds up becoming more and more painful and takes alot longer in us to receed,

there are few sports supplements that can help but i cant remember now what they are called , its a proten complex that helps sports men recover quicker, might be worth a look

it is so frustrating iv gained so much weight from not being able to go for really long walks  i really hope you find a way you can do some training .

regards tian .in north yorkshire.

• Posted

Thanks so much.

I've been made to feel like I was pretending in some sick way by people that look at me and think that I am ok.

I was out in the car about six weeks ago and hit a pothole and immediately went into spasm in my neck. I was in so much pain I couldn't move from the car for six hours.

I've had other issues since but I am struggling to be heard.

Thanks for the insight into your problems it helps to understand the problems I am having

• Posted

i know those speed bumps kill me and pot holes are just as bad.

i stubbed my toe on the base on my bed  while making it and it was so bloody painful the pain shot up my leg right into my hip i limped for weeks .no one gets it  they all think its in your head . and that it cant be that bad . . avoid meds if you can because your just feel worse doped up and tired . best supplemens i use are b12 .q10 and magnesuim .

fibro is a reall pain . and i know it hurts when people make stupid comments . words really do hurt . regards tian . in yorkshire.

• Posted

Hi Graham

OMG I have so been there. I am a physical trainer and my first experience of this was after a 16 hour shift and teaching 4 classes of spin, weights etc and I was in bed for a week, its crazy isn't it it's like permanant DOMS - not good.

I have now been off work for 9 months and I am daily researching into weights. This is the first forum I have found though that does not seem to have people that are able to continue to do Cross Fit and body builiding!!! so I concluded that they did not have FM ha ha as I have yet to hear from anyone that hasn't had the same experiences as we have had.

Learn from me though I pushed it - power walking - and broke my ankle as my body was not ready, so I am researching still like crazy and when I come up with a plan I will let you know.

All the best

E

• Posted

Absolute, I get the same thing.  It is like a very severe post work out muscle pain or "DOMS" as it is known.  In my experience can last for upto 2 weeks!   I find it is just not worth trying to do weights... although sometimes basic bodyweight exercises like pushups, situps and squats are OK.  

I have found doing a low impact exercise like cycling and gradually building up the time and intensity is the only way to get any exercise without unmanagable pain afterwards. 

• Posted

Of course the less you do the less fit you become and if you are unfit you can naturally expect to get aches and pains after exercise.  So deciding how hard to push and how much pain is acceptable is such a difficult balance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.