weight vest?

Posted , 4 users are following.

It seems that some people use weight vests as part of their strategy to improve bone density. Has anybody tried this? I do body pump classes and I have heard that you should not squat with a heavy bar as this would not be good for your back (if you have loss of bone density). How much weight can one wear with a weight vest?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I use a weighted vest.  It was designed originally for bodybuilders but the bonebuilders crowd has discovered it.  It has multiple pockets each of which holds a metal ingot weighing a couple of ounces.  These ingots can be added one or two at a time, so you can start with a virtually empty vest and work your way slowly up to several pounds.  I had to order it from Texas.  It was fairly expensive but worth every penny.  It is much more comfortable than a backpack holding a similar amount of weight.  In fact I'd say there's no comparison.  

• Posted

hyperwear
    • Posted

Thank you smile I have read that you should only go up to 10% of your body weight. I guess this is true for walking with the vest? Can you put on more than that to train with, for example to do squats? in that case, would it be safer than a bar or not? 
    • Posted

yes, I like the design of this one, it looks so cool. However, I have found a different design and they claim that is better not to have any weight on the breast area for women. Any thought on that?
    • Posted

hyperwear vest is now available on amazon.co.uk so I am considering this one as both the others have to be ordered from the US

• Posted

There isn't any pressure, not that I've noticed anyway.  The vest comes in several sizes and has an elastic lace on each side which means you can adjust it exactly to your frame, nothing is hanging or dragging weight on your shoulders.  If you are right about only carrying 10% of one's body weight I guess I can only work up a couple more pounds.  I carry about 8 pounds now, and weigh about 102.  I have never lifted wights but hopefully someone else can answer your question.  The point of the vest is not to build muscle but to encourage bone to make more bone. It's easy to wear for hours at a time, so I think that's its advantage over lifting weights.  

• Posted

Thank you I am really trying to figure out what to buy since there are two other product on the market. The other two product are sold in the USA and I can have them shipped here. This one, however, is now available in the UK in an easier way. In a previous post I mentioned where(the seller) I can get it from and my post is waiting to be moderated, maybe you are not supposed to say such things here.  
    • Posted

I just wanted to let you know that on the weight vest website they have a section on the weight vest osteoporosis and walking in which they say that for brisk walking you can add up to 15% of your body weight. So I guess the 10% which I found elsewhere is probably for other kind of exercises, possibly jumping and the likes. 
    • Posted

That's good.  I live in Canada, so shipping to me from the US wasn't a problem.  I was a bit worried whether there'd be duty, but I didn't have to pay any.  

I never quite know what we can post now.  I didn't dare mention the brand name, but before I installed adblock I actually noticed an ad from the company within one of the threads I was following.  I don't know how they can balance the strict moderation of the forum itself with all the advertising....

• Posted

While answering this an almost identical question came up in the Healthunlocked forum and I got really confused.  Are you also on both forums?  Over there I'm HeronNS.

• Posted

Yes it is me on the other forum as well. You have been amazingly patient and helpful. 
    • Posted

It was really bizarre.  I was composing a reply, and saying I would send links as a private message, and then reading the post I was replying to I realized it was Healthunlocked so I could just include the link in the reply.  I thought for a few minutes I'd stepped into an alternate universe....  But if you got the info, that's all I was concerned about.  Cheers!

• Posted

Hi. I tried one but I found it very uncomfortable. Possible due to having already had fractures in my spine, so it wasnt for me. I can walk for hours, without pain, but when standing, for even short periods, I feel like I am wearing a lead belt. This was also how it felt with the vest on, all the time. But, if you don’t have back issues, I believe this would help.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that. Did you feel that bad even with very little wight to start with?
    • Posted

Yes but I am certain it was because my back had already had 2 fractured vertebrae. It felt as if my spine was compressing. It feels the same when I stand. When I am walking everyday, I am fine but unfortunately the same happened with the vest as with a rucksack or a handbag. However, in theory, the vest makes sense, particularly if you are underweight or lighter than you could be but still within norrmal limits. I dont think it will help people who are overweight as they are already putting stress on their joints and this would not be advisable.
    • Posted

I think walking is very good for you, even without a vest. I do not have problems with my back at the moment, but you are right in pointing out that a vest is not for everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.