Weightbaring pain in full leg.

Posted , 3 users are following.

started weightbaring 5 days ago and my full leg is aching not just the ankle but my thighs etc. is this normal? and how long did it take for people to start walking in just the boot 😃

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

More info would help. What happened to you? How long ago? What prior treatment have you had? Cast? Crutches? What has your doctor told you? I do know that an injury can take longer than we would like to improve.I was in a boot for a stupid little broken toe. That was after I got out of the knee to toes non weight bearing cast for 4 weeks. The boot killed me. I couldn't sleep it hurt so much. Then I learned I was strapping the boot on too tightly. We all need proper INFORMATION about what to expect and if it's pain then how to handle that. Like pain killing drugs. Good luck. No one should be in pain or in the dark about that to expect. Doctors work for us!

• Posted

hiya , i broke my fibula and had a talar shift i had to have surgery to fix, been non weightbaring for 6 weeks up until five days ago and ive been working on it but the pain has hit me most today, thanks for your reply 😃

• Posted

Hi Pip,

Yes that is pretty normal. The leg hasn't used most of the muscles for such an extended period, everything takes a lot more effort.

Another reason could be that the boot height makes your hips uneven. There is a products called an 'even up' (thicker soled sneaker can also work) for the non-booted foot. It helped me a lot to get through the boot phase.

It took me around 2.5 weeks to be completely boot and crutches free when I started weight bearing post ORIF and 6 weeks NWB.

There was a lot of up and down days, the days after physio were the hardest - lots of elevation and ice. Go at a pace that works for you and don't push yourself too hard - it will only delay the recovery.

Basically my transition was: boot and crutches for a few days, slowly putting more weight on my foot, then a few days of two crutches and no boot at home (boot when out) then, boot and one crutch at home/two crutches out, then no boot one crutch at home/boot one crutch when out, then no crutch no boot at home/boot while out, then finally no boot.

• Posted

Nice answer. I remember the difference in heights with a boot on one foot. Wish I had known about "even up" . I did the lean and then swing the booted foot forward. Probably looked really silly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.