Weightbearing after broken ankle

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am wondering what is the length of time it takes from 25% to 100% weight bearing. I am now 8 wks non weight bearing...Had surgery on Nov 24th....broke my ankle in 2 places....Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

everything depends on x-rays . for me my doctor increased my weight bearing every two weeks!!!

• Posted

My surgery was 7/11

I was 25% weight bearing by beginning of August

By mid September I was 100% weight bearing in boot

I did PT at this point for several weeks and was able to transition into sneakers

Its a long road back Im 6 months post op and back to my daily routine

I volunteer at a dog shelter and Ive been walking dogs about 3 miles per day

• Posted

It varies for everyone, but I would expect several weeks. I was non weight bearing for about 8 weeks and then the doctor said "Walk" and just told me to do as much as I could handle. Thankfully I was able to start PT right away. It took me probably a month to go from barely weight bearing with crutches to full with a cane. Good luck!

• Posted

Took me about 1 week to walk without the boot when I was told to walk. I would say about 2 weeks later I dumped the one crutch I was leaning on and was full weight bearing. It’s about you too, and how much pain you push through. It hurt, but I just kept doing it. I also put a cheap ankle brace on at home and that compression helped lots to walk without discomfort. I’m sure you’ll be at it real soon when you get the clearance. I had my cast 14 weeks, I was ready! Just my point of view, PT is over-rated and you can google and do ankle stretches at home. Walking is the best medicine to learn how to walk again.

• Posted

16 weeks I was but on a boot for last five.

This was with crutches had two breaks dislocation.

Getting there now 5 month's in normal shoes I prefer boots though cat boots feals safer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.