Weighted blanket and fibro

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone has tried using a weighted blanket to help with their fibro symtoms? i have heard lots of pros and cons but still not sure if it would work before i buy one?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

I've wondered about this as well , but I get days when I can't even stand the pressure of my clothes so I think perhaps it's unlikely that I would be comfortable under a weighted blanket. For me it would feel too heavy on my body although I think I would appreciate the warmth of heavier bedding.

• Edited

Good Morning - I have suffered with Fibromyagia since 1987.

I thought the weighted blanket would be ideal for me. Much less expensive than the "Cuddle Ewe" bed topper I always wanted but could never afford.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I ordered a weighted blanket from Amazon. Once it arrived, I was taken aback how heavy it was. Nonetheless I gave it a try. Let's just say, its not for me but someone else could possibly benefit from it. Most of them are made in China. Mine had an offensive odor to it. Can't quite describe what it smelled like.

The blanket gave me a bad case of hives, a feeling of suffocation and shortness of breath. I totally understand these responses may be unique to me as there have been success stories on weighted blankets. It just wasn't for me. Amazon took the blanket back without an issue and life went on.

If there's a way you can try one out and see if you like the concept, go for it. I am at a loss how anyone can sleep with one of these.

I enjoy my goose down comforter during the winter months. I use compression garments and a solaris tribute to assist with Lymphedema.

Good Luck and I hope it works better for you!

My Best,

Glenn

• Edited

i am the same some days i cant stand the pressure if clothes but sometimes its not so bad i was thinking on those days i would just use my regular quilt x

• Posted

hi glenn i have ordered one to try i guess nothing ventured is nothing gained at this point im willing to try anything x

• Posted

Are you referring to the pain of fibro or the symptoms of RLS? I haven't used a weighted blanket yet, so I'm also following to see what people think. I am currently on meds for Restless Leg Syndrome, but I would be interested to hear if a blanket helped.

• Posted

i have both along with obstructive sleep apnea which i have a cpap machine for so im hoping it would help with all of them i have ordered one from amazon and i will see if it helps x

• Posted

I also have a cpap for sleep apnea. Hope the blanket helps...

• Edited

Hi, I'm new to this site and just wanted to let you know my opinion regarding weighted blankets.

I had a fall in June 2013, resulting in a break to my left ankle, a break to my left foot (5th metatarsal) and nerve impingement at c5/c6 in my neck. 6 months later, my left knee gave way (on New Year's day) and I broke the 5th metatarsal in my left foot. I have arthritis in my knees, feet, hands and neck but I still manage to work full time, although it's very difficult at times.

Fellow sufferers of fibromyalgia, which I was finally diagnosed with in 2016/7 is so debilitating in many ways. I have pain all the time but the trick is the try to keep it at a level you can cope with, obviously with the aid of Pregablin and co-codamol in my case. I also have IBS too ... but I have had that since around 2005.

Anyway, I will give ANYTHING a try ... So, I bought a Silentnight weighted blanket (6.8kg) but only after reading countless reviews and yes, it is quite heavy but seriously, after the first night I noticed a difference. My pain is reduced dramatically under this "big hug" but you have to forward plan à visit to the bathroom! Personally, I will try most things to help my condition (s), you need to have THE best quality of life and I do believe that this blanket has helped to significantly improve mine.

PS. I am sleeping with an Egyptian cotton flat sheet between me and the blanket and I am as snug as a bug in a rug.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

What's right for me, may not be right for you but it could be?

• Posted

I haven't heard of this I recon it depends on how frail one is I don't have the urge to buy one though

• Posted

I have not been diagnosed but suffer from leg pain daily where my skin, muscles and bones ache like flu symptoms (only from waist to knee's). Working from home has been great as i can sit on my sofa with my weighted blanket and since starting that I've had to take much fewer pain killers compared to the days I'm in the office or elsewhere without the blanket.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.