Weightless and loss muscle mass issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have the normal stuff you ladies do, but I have weight loss issues and feel like I lost a lot of weight in my upper body arms and legs. Just my stomach and behind are still a little big. I have very fast bowels in the morning and in the evrnig, but I don't have oainscor constipation. Had Ct scan, colonoscopy, all kinds of blood work. Everything negative. The most I have is a little gastritis, but I have no pain. I almost feel like I have a weird disease or something wrong with my cortisol levels. Maybe a tumor on whatever affects all that. Some people call me lucky and I look good. I see nothing but I look odd now. I am about 206 but used to be 217 last year. Been struggling to get my weight bac, when most people say including my Dr. That I need to lose more weight. Trust me I'm not trying to lose this wright. I think it happens in my sleep. I take vitamin b12 and D and s probiotic to control my IBS I get sometimes. Just crazy.. That is my only worry. Is to get my weight back. Never thought I'd want my weight back but I do. How or why did my body change so drastically. How do I get it back. I eat everything fatty and high cal. Hungry often too. Almost like I have a parasite, but was already checked for that too. Nada...

Wish someone would tell me they have or had the same problems too. Maybe its not menopause. I just don't know anymore. I'm 50 years old and hate this already. So what's so great about getting older. I say nothing.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Didi, I'm 50 too and have similar issues. I've had persistent digestive issues and weight loss this last year. All scans and tests clear but I can't put the weight back on that zI lost. If I eat too much of anything I get more digestive pain. Docs just say IBS etc.

I'm on thyroxine for low thyroid function but dose seems ok as blood tests are normal. I know an over-active thyroid can cause weight loss, have you had a blood test for that?

I can't digest too much fat so try to boost calories with carbs and squash. You can get high protein/calorie shakes for weight gain too but I can't tolerate them.

You're not alone though, while many women find weight gain a problem in menu, some definitely do struggle with weight loss.

• Posted

omg. You're my hero. I do carb up. Have had bouts with my digestive system too. Thyroid was checked and dr. say its normal too. I know what you mean about this drinks. They give me heartburn. Thanks for your feedback. Just wish I could gain at least 5 more lbs. Back. My husband just put all my xl's in a box in case I get it back. Sad day. sad

• Posted

Hi DIdi

I also have had weight lose , however , I never really had a weight issue but I did get a little plumped for what my body was in The past

Some days I do feel like i struggle to keep my upper body muscle on arms , chest , I do weight traind and have for many years but I really notice the difference I lost In 11months 8 pounds on a low estrogen day 6 on a high estrogen day ( water retention ) i really do not know my body anymore ! All blood work is fine even my thyroids , hopefully it will be over one day😁

• Posted

I had gastitis when approaching being fiftyvand my periods went haywire too, i lost alot of weight with this gastitis even when i was eating quite well, it was quite a worrying time loosing that weight but now i feel it is going the other way now and need to watch my weight! X
  • Posted

Have you been tested for Helicobacter Pylori?

Also ask for your Iron studies/panels to be tested.  And I don't mean just iron, it should included ferritin iron, serum iron, transferrin saturation %, and TIBC.

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy and various ct scans and endoscopy. All were negstive for any ulcers or all they told me is I had some gastritis & to avoid NSads. I hardly ever get headache, and hardly ever take Nsads. Not in any pain in my stomach. I do have diverticulosis, but they said it was not active or inflamed. Haven't had my iron tested but I eat a lot of red meat so pretty sure my iron levels are OK. I definitely had some stomach virus back in April til about May, but it cleared up then I got depressed worried I had cancer due to an enlarged lymph node in my neck they took it out and it was negative too. Could all have been stress and worry and now menopause. I gained some weight back but not all that I lost. I have about 7 lbs. I'd like to get back. I'm 208 but I was like 217. Still overweight but skinnier in my arms and legs. Its more like my weight shifted around. Hard to explain. Just haven't really felt 100% since April, but not depressed and I have a great appetite too
    • Posted

I was more concerned about you absorbing too much iron.  But you need to have at least your ferritin iron and your transferrin saturation % tested, not just serum iron.

It should be a standard test but drs just don't bother doing it.

• Posted

Hi Didi,

I am 54 and post meno now by 5 months.  Can totally relate to what you are going through and how you feel.  Just over 2 years ago my body went really haywire  (up till then I didnt really suffer too many peri symptoms, few hot flushes and few little digestive issues, feeling off sometimes and headaches).  Then it hit, the digestive issues got really bad, anxiety, bone, muscle and joint pain and so on, I lost about 25 kilos in 6 months, I was terrified and convinced I had something terminal wrong with me.  After 5 months I finally gave in and went to the dr, had heaps of bloods done and everything was fine except my cholesteral was a little high and FSH was high.  I didnt believe the bloods still thought there was something bad wrong as I looked like a walking skeleton but the closer I got to meno things started to change and I started to get my body used to food again, there was very little I could eat for about 1 year, now I can eat most things, will still get really bad gas from some foods, I stay away from most dairy though. Like you I was so worried that I would loose more weight and not put any on I hated looking at myself in the mirror.  I did start to gain again and now struggling to keep my weight at a comfortable level.  My arms, legs and other places have filled out and I do have muscle tone back again.  I also ate high carbs and fatty foods when I could hoping it would put weight on but made no difference I still lost weight.  Just seems that some people loose weight and some go the other way.  No doubt once your hormones start settling you will start to gain some weight, could take a while though.  As it seems you have had heaps of tests and they have found no reason for the weight loss, try not to get stressed about it cause the stress will probs help in the weight loss.

Take care 

Jo xx

• Posted

Thank you Jo. Makes me feel so much better. Finally someone who has gone the oppisite direction with their weight.

I'll just try to embrace my new thinner body and try to keep up my carbs and hope it comes back in a year or so. Definitely not throwing out my fat clothes. I do miss some of them.

Anyway thank you for the reassurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.