Weightloss Surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

has anyone ever had an unsuccessful gastric bypass and lapband surgery later that was successful? If so, did your insurance pay for second surgery? I am covered by United Healthcare..

.... gastric bypass was 4 years ago....

...,still need to lose at least 50 more pounds...

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I know their are people out their who have a gastric bypass and it doesn't work but sadly it is because they do not follow the dietary instruction given to them after the surgery.

If they continue to eat larger meals then their stomach will expand again until its as big as it was prior to the surgery, this means they can eat more than they require and will put weight back on and sometimes get even bigger.

A gastric band or lap band want be any more successful than the bypass if your not going to follow the calorie deficit after it's done.

Their is no magic potion or operation that can stop you being overweight its all down to your own will power.

Have you considered just going on a diet of restricted calorie intake and see how you go, have you a lot to lose

• Posted

thanks for your input ... but per my physician , sometime there is a reason the weight does not come off as it should that has nothing to do with eating habits. each person is different... i know people who had bypass, lapband and sleeve and some have/had the same issue that I'm dealing with now.... again it was not because of their eating habits...some was because of new medication, some had a problem with the stoma and some didn't have a very good surgeon... my physician think it is a medical reason.... YES, i have tried several diets... I can't do much exercise because of limitations caused by 5 back surgeries, 3 foot surgeries, fibromyalgia, heart attack, asthma, severe migraines and type 2 diabetic.. I will be seeing my doctor on Wednesday and go from there....

BY the way, have you had weightloss surgery? just curiuos....

again, thanks

• Posted

Hi no I haven't personally had any form of weight loss surgery but have had dealings with quite a few who have and to be honest your doctor obviously would have dealt with more than me and I presume that as you have been told that it's down to medication etc I bow to his superior knowledge but just saying the only reason I have come across unsuccessful gastric bypass is because the recipient didn't follow the 1000/1200 kcal diet plan that was given to them.

Both my sister and her partner had it 3 years ago, partner has done really well but my sisters weight has crept back up because she has zero will power.

As your not in UK its probably best you get advice from others in the same vicinity as its possible your surgical technique is different their and results are less realistic due to ongoing medical conditions and medication

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.