weightloss vs pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I think I may know the result  but  has anyone reading  had a significant amount of pain reduction after weight loss?

the problem seems to be that my consultant doesnt feel my hip wear is bad enough to operate THR  but  how it is for me is after walking a short way the pain down my leg is excruciating and need to sit down - maybe  you all  have/had pain far worse??

Did you have pain all the time  or anyone like me  - after a sit down I am much better for another 500 yds whatever,  he said all the negs that a false hip isnt as good as what Ive got, also that Im notreally old enoughin the scheme of thing!  (61)

is he just inundated with numbers and puttng me off?

any help much appreciated,  and please please dont anyone take my situation personally

paulie

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Larry   can you  run again?   Im so hoping I can get back to my Jiving  !!
  • Posted

....yes    get it done whilst its available  'at my age'  !!  it may become for the over 70s or similar, nothing would shock me

Tories have made life really challenging  with moving my pension on twice!   even though I  was caught in recession and  job seeking and couldnt get work due to age!   -   unfortunately my  local MP is Mr G Osboure  so no support there!!   tee-hee      wasnt funny though

thanks again

• Posted

sorry flipped off...

....sent me to a Pain Clinic to learn to live with it as said my pain had unfounded cause!

The 2nd opinion consultant looked at the MRI result and begged to differ that yes, it did show bone to bone,  so what next?

my plan is to loose the wiegt and start the pain killers which Ive not done seriously before,   just to get me through  and  Im going to Pilates as feel a great need to get fit and strong

Il really push at next appointment  and will know then that the weightloss has or hasnt helped me by then  but  my guess is I will feel better generally but not good enough

I told him I couldnt even walk the corridor without the leg pain and he kept quizzing how long the corridor was   I got a bit cross finally  and said I should be able to walk all the corridors!!    not just one!  lol

my knee now twinging but he said that some patients go with knee pain and it is their hip at fault , not knee.   so this to me is very diagnostic and of course,  the steroid took all the pain away for 3 weeks,  so  yes, I must not go back into denial!

thanks all and   all good wishes,    I may even bring the apptment forward if possible   if there is generally a long waiting list for op 

pauline

• Posted

to carla

HI     What is repair that you mentioned please?  

• Posted

Hi Pauline

This sounds familiar to me. I started with hip and butt pain in June 2014. My GP diagnosed trochanteric bursitis and I was given a steroid injection in my butt. this made no difference. I paid to see a physio and an osteopath whilst waiting for an appointment to see the NHS physio as this took almost 5 months. The pain increased especially when I had been on my feet all day - I teach 3 days a week - and spread into my groin as well as affecting my sciatic nerve.By Christmas 2014 I found it very hard to walk far and the groin  and bone ache woke me at night. At last I saw the NHS physio who didn't think it was arthritis but as I did his exercises faithfully with only deterioration over 6 weeks he conceded that that the joint may be damaged and he sent me for an X ray. The X ray diagnosis sounds like yours - only mild arthritis so my GP wouldn't take it any further.

i requested a private referral and saw a consultant at Spire in Havant in April 2015. He gave me a thorough exam and said that X rays don't always tell the whole story. He gave me a steroid injection in my groin which was amazing even though I knew it would only last a few weeks. At my follow-up appointment he said that the relief from the steroid indicated that the hip was damaged and I would benefit from a hip replacement.

He wrote to my GP and at my insistence she referred me to an NHS consultant who I saw in June 2015. He agreed that I would benefit from a THR which I was desperate for as I could feel the extra strain on my good hip and I was dreading that failing too.

I was fortunate to have the Op on the NHS on 14th August and I am already feeling so much better. I am 62 now and generally in good health. I have had to be very pushy about this but I don't regret it. As the physio said, osteoarthritis does not get better, it only gets worse, so don't wait until other joints are affected too. 

Don't let them fob you off. Good luck and very best wishes. Carole 

• Posted

so sorry to hear all that Carla   poor you!  i have pain down thigh   and shin    and now knee twinging,   yes   no one can know  pain threshold  I  have sat down on supermarket floor   3 times when no seat at hand,  now i just pace myself   but the old nippy me  gone!  -  just presuming its down leg from the nerve?  although  the consultant said it was a typical thing when its hip,  he didnt explain why, I should have questioned it more

so where are you up to now?

• Posted

I finally have a second opinion next week. I've been waiting 6 weeks. Anxious to see what the doctor says but I am going to be insistent on having something done. I'm tired of this ongoing pain. And as the previous post said osteoarthritis doesn't get any better it only gets worse. Hang in there and don't give up you have to fight for what's best for you. My arthritis is a hereditary thing my mother had both her hips replaced.
  • Posted

Thankyou CAROLE

me too,   groin pain  and then the steroid injection last Maytime,  then I had bliss for 3 or 4 weeks!! 

Im not yet back to how I was pre op pain-wise  but its about 75% I would say

Fours years  now, Im cross I wasnt more assertive on Tues

Yes  my other hip has been twinging recently, i now

wish Id been more pushy at my appointment,  I feel a fool,    he said it was very minor  but the pain isnt!!

I spent a year having  accupuncture, physio,  osteopathy and chiro,   all to no avail

Did you have Anteria or Prosteria    do you know please??

• Posted

I had posterior and it has all gone really well. As I understand it this means a bigger scar but it has already healed on the outside. A skilful surgeon is the key. When my surgeon said I was having the same process as his wife had had this sounded good to me ( I presume they were on good terms!) I have no pain now just stiffness  - I am doing my exercises diligently. Enjoyed going round West Quay shopping today even though I had crutches. All the best xx
  • Posted

Good Luck  Carla    keep me informed please?     

thAnks,     haha  my daughter said Id been tooooo  patient!!   its the denial thing   and  of course   fear

tc  xx      thanks again  you guys

• Posted

All the best Carole, so pleased for you  

thanks again

pauline

• Posted

Unhappily I have not lost the weight that would be better for hips, old and new. I can only inagine it would help though. My husband lost 75 pounds last year and he says he can breathe better and walk about much better.
  • Posted

Dear Paulie ...

my first, knee jerk, reaction would not have been approved by our moderator!!!

I am so sorry ... Can you get a 3rd opinion ? I am sure you can but might not be covered ... 

i don't know what to tell you - it started like that with me too -- walking and needing to stop because of pain.. I used to walk and hike for miles  and enjoying it - I too was told by 1st surgeon that "I was not at the end of the rope yet" - 9 months later right hip was bone on bone, left hip's cartilage minimal - 6 months later left hip is bone-on-bone and now waiting for 2nd THR -eek

Please don't be too hard on your self (re: weight) - I wish I could help you better ...

warm hug

renee

• Posted

OH  thanks Renee    iteresting

where did you get such accurate diagnosises?????

like blood out of stone for me,   I feel its a conspiracy,   I may seek out private consultation   but  the thing is Iv had Steroid injection and he said it is definately my hip asi it reacted so well from it,    so Ill just have to go with this  -  loosing the weight and then still having the pain is my last denial test if you like,    yes   it makes you feel better  even when in pain I imagine    -   got a long way to go but determined to do it as it will help post op  too.  Id feel better if they said  oh yes  a lot of arthritus here,  it sseems minimal  -  I do wonder if Ive got a bone spur whatever its called  on a nerve  as leg gets unbearable

onwards and  up        hugs to all  who hobble  xx

• Posted

thanks renee

ive written you once and it fli[pped off somewhere

i think there is a conspiracy going on  lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.