weightloss vs pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I think I may know the result  but  has anyone reading  had a significant amount of pain reduction after weight loss?

the problem seems to be that my consultant doesnt feel my hip wear is bad enough to operate THR  but  how it is for me is after walking a short way the pain down my leg is excruciating and need to sit down - maybe  you all  have/had pain far worse??

Did you have pain all the time  or anyone like me  - after a sit down I am much better for another 500 yds whatever,  he said all the negs that a false hip isnt as good as what Ive got, also that Im notreally old enoughin the scheme of thing!  (61)

is he just inundated with numbers and puttng me off?

any help much appreciated,  and please please dont anyone take my situation personally

paulie

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i did it again renee - new laptop!

I DID respond positively to the steroid injection so this does speak volumes

I do feel messed abut and end of trether a while ago - its the pressure of working  (carng for others  who seem fitter than me  lol )

Il know when I cant do it anymore I imagine  but  been close

Are you good now   can you ramble renee? 

I can see I was just a bit soft at my appointment,   need to toughen up for next time for sure

thanks     and hugs to all that hobble!!   x

so nice to speak to those who tryley understand

• Posted

Hi Pauline 

im not totally sure what your question is but I will share my bit of hip pain and weight issues.  I am very overweight, have been for about 10 years and the consultant said that my hip was urgent but I should try to lose as much as I could before my op.  I lost 14 pounds and have to say I was amazed at the difference. After my op I progressed really really well with recovery but noticed that as I gradually put weight on my hip definitely ached more.  When I put on 7 lbs I started aching a bit more and decided to get back on the plan. My new hip is fabulous but I need to help myself by getting some of the weight off.  Doctor says that for each pound off I am taking 4 bounds of pressure off the hips and knees.  

Good luck with both the weight loss and finding a consultant to work with you on improving your mobility. 

• Posted

Hi Laura    

pleased for you  and thanks for encouragement to get wieght off,  I wonder if it would have prevented this happening  but cant go back!

best wishes    pauline

• Posted

I too need to shed quite a bit of weight. It is so hard to do as you well know but it mus tbe done. If you have suggestions I am open to them.

June

• Posted

haha Il let you know June    day   3 and just cheated with mini pork pie!!     good luck  yes let me know too if any tips

.....I go clean my teeth when I cant get food off mind!  I havent been eaating enough the last 3 days so tomorrow  going to eat more regularly and fingers crossed,  have bike at the ready   but as said,  its so hard getting on and off!  smile

good luck     thanks

We can!!    x

• Posted

You made me laugh with the cheating, it sounds like something I do regualry.

Keep in touch and we shall give the diet a good try.

June

• Posted

dearest pauline - 

Ahhh ... LOL ... not really funny, but it is, isn;t it ....what else can we do ....

I got the diagnosis from my ortho surgeons who just looked at the xray ... did you have one ? even I could see the the difference - 

with the first one I still had to go through the protocol of getting treatment like cortisone shot, physical therapy etc .even though I could barely walk - 

here in Holland, before the x-ray, my GP thought it could be bursitis ... but noooo, it was bone-on-bone of the right hip ...

what kind of diet or plan are you on to lose the extra pounds?  some of the medication I take also cause weight gain .... 

I don't think you were too soft ... these visits can be intimidating - did you have someone with you? 

I believe that once the second hip is done and i can walk properly etc. i will be able to feel more fit and you know, lose the additional kilos ... 

I sincerely wish you a lot of strenght and that the right person will come into your life to help you with this, soon -

light and love send 

renee

• Posted

I had slowly increasing pain for about 2 years before I went to the G P about it, x-rays showed bad arthritis in both hips - Dr said I would need hip replacements and she would prefer me, but because of my age (56 at the time) to leave it as long as possible. Left it another year before asking for referral - was then another 5 months to the first op and a further 5 months to the second (nearly 3 weeks ago). Hindsight - I have put up with nearly two years of pain I didn't need to have done. Consultant has used in cemented ceramics which he says are just as likely to last for the rest of my life. And to be honest if I doend up having revisions at some point would two years earlier make much difference? Really could kick myself for what I have put up with!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.