Weird abstract Nightmares that I keep getting

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

After looking on the Internet for this for about 2 weeks ive decided to post it myself.

Since I've been small I sometimes get these "abstract Nightmares". I recently had one when I had a high temperature. But as I just mentioned I've been getting them from time to time since I was small so they are NOT some weird fever thing.

Before you read the description I would like to add this info about me:

- I'm 14 years old (don't be discouraged)

- My IQ is a little above average (130)

- I USED to have epilepsy, not the typical epilepsy in which people faint but an epilepsy in which I would wake up in the night shaking as if I was receiving an electric shock (which I found out later was sort of the cause of the "attacks" because when they measured me having them(by making me fall asleep under rapidly flashing lights) my brain activity would be very high so it's a sort of overload)

- I suspect myself of having Generalized Anxiety Disorder

These nightmares, I can't find a better word even though these are just abstract thoughts and sometimes (not even sure if there are actually some) image. So these nightmares are one of the worst thing that your mind alone can do to you. I don't even clearly know what they are myself but I just know I have them. They are fear, a direct dose of fear injected into every part of your body. Your brain starts to have an overload and you start falling backwards. Somehow you find yourself thinking of a race. A number of some kind that you haven't done something too... I can't describe it. What I think it is and I'm not even sure I think this is what I think (this is how currupt I am). People inexplicably are angry at me, now this part I'm very confused about because I'm a normal person who is not excessively shouted at (I'm not so arrogant as to suggest that I lead a miserable life). Another thing that I also experience is these weights in some places (I'm not sure where). And during the day when I for example hold something with my hands i get like a weird déjà vu feeling and think to these "Nightmares". This is a brief description of what I get. I'd love to discover what these are and if I'm a looney who psychiatrists will look at me with round eyes. As this description must look weird to some person who is normal (or less weird than me). Im also wondering whether or not its linked to my suspected GAD (parents don't really take me seriously about it).

I hope you read this seriously and I really hope that you could add a comment below with you suggestions/ideas. I even welcome comments like "OMG this is exactly what I get" (even though I doubt that)

Thanks for your attention,

Matt

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Wow!

As I was reading your descriptin of those nightmares I thought I was reading my own journal!!! You're not alone in this. I too had this type of nightmare in the past, especially as a kid. Everytime I would wake up I remembered everything but couldn't find the words to actually describe what my mind "saw" in those dreams. Sometimes the closest thing to a "real" descriptino that I could give my mom was that "some type of wheels were running down a hill and they were very angry at me" and I was feeling fear like never before, a sort of fear that, as you said, filled my entire body. And everytime I had those dreams, before falling asleep I felt that "weigh" - I felt it somewhere in the back of my "mind" - can't actually describe it using words. And many other times, as you said, I would do something throughout the day and I would have that sensation of "weight" and I too would instantly remember my dreams - still can't describe those nightmares, although I'm now 23 and I had them between the age of 4 and 10. I also remember everytime I had them, when I could finally "wake up to reality", it would be very difficult to fal asleep without having those thoughts and images rush through my mind like crazy, while I would be shaking and shivering for 30 minutes (in spite of the room being warm). I had them "checked out" by doctors and psychologists and they couldn't find anything 'wrong' with me, but I am so glad I found someone else who can relate... I'm sorry to hear you're going through those nightmare again. As you mentioned, you recently had high fever, I remeber once feeling very sick because of the dinner I had prior to going to bed, as a kid, and I woke up having the same nightmare but it kind of continued after I woke up, like a halucination. I am still researching this thing and I hope to one day find out the reason.

What I do fight with recently is GAD. Having panic attacks several times a day is now a normal thing for me and I hate being like this. I've had panic attacks in 2010 for a year and after a lot of personal struggling and trying to change the way I was thinking about my "fake symptoms", I finally started getting better and for 5 years nothing similar has happened, until April 2015 when I had a panic attack again and ever since then, they keep happening. It's interesting that you think there's a connection between those nightmares and GAD. I am currently trying to practice mindfulness and positive self-talk (it might sound crazy or funny, but this is what has helped me in 2010) and applying some cognitive-behavioral therapy to help change my thinking and attitude towards life so I can stop feeling anxious.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for your answer and I really appreciate your suggestions, I'll surely give them a shot!
    • Edited

Woah...The description of your nightmare is almost as close as to mine.. But instead of wheels there are these things that looks like boulders that are chasing me and they are so loud. I was so scared. And even after waking up I was still terrified and I just starred at my dad and grandma when they asked me what's up.

• Posted

Woah...The description of your nightmare is almost as close as to mine.. But instead of wheels there are these things that looks like boulders that are chasing me and they are so loud. I was so scared. And even after waking up I was still terrified and I just starred at my dad and grandma when they asked me what's up.

• Posted

I had abstract Nightmares when I had a high temperature too! In the last one i saw some kind a infinity puzzle, i tried to fix it piece by piece all night long but it was endless.

Maybe you should give your parents read your post to understand that nightmares really worrying you?

• Edited

you posted this four years ago so probably won't see this, but wow! this is crazy. the details you've described are almost identical to the nightmares i used to have (i think they stopped a couple of years ago) when i was ill. i would wake up panicking about what was in the dream. what you say about a race or a people and a big number, i linked this with a password sometimes. i would also get feelings of a world at war or just a lot violence or anger on a huge scale. i get what you mean about the weight, i would get these 'images' of something incredibly big, heavy and loud, (it mainly resembled a big boulder) and something small, light and quiet (my head often saw it as a daisy). i still get those feelings of déjà vu in the day, i am a drummer and whenever i play incredibly quietly my brain has a small panicky feeling and makes me relate to the dreams. this is incredibly comforting to hear someone describe almost exactly what i dreamed about.

• Posted

Question for yourself alone, Matt; What does it actually matter? Many years ago I knew a guy who in even the most dire circumstances would say and mean "No one has burnt your house down or shot your down ... anything else can be sorted"

Because prescription drugs I get visual disturbances, such as blood red spiders the size of half a hand moving down the wall next to me or weird stuff floating about in the room .... It looks 100% real but I know it isn't .... so I ignore it.

If I am reading it correctly you have nightmares which include people 'shouting at you' ..... So? And? The problem is?

Average IQ is btw taken to be between 95-115 .... So a genuine 130 is high, is that professionally tested I wonder. You could join MENSA if such appalling things appealed. Unfortunately IQ is no measure of ability to succeed in life.

You feel you have GAD ..... Your parents I'd surmise do not quite know what to do with you, putting it down as 'teenage angst' and hoping you grow out of it ..... You say "Not so arrogant' when you are entirely arrogant my young friend; you are looking to be different, you are looking for attention and you are manipulative.

If you take advice which I doubt, then I'd get your parents to get your medical provider to have you seen by a psychologist ... My wife is a Dr of Psychology and my own mental make up is shall we say complex; I can see pointers in you where you may well benefit from a chat with a professional. No, I will not discuss them with you.

Mental illness is a perception ....... but one has to quietly fit into society unless one wants an extremely fractured life experience.

• Edited

I've had them too. There are a few different types I can think of. In one, there's this roll, well sort of a cylinder which was unroll, and there's a feeling that there's a terrible terrible battle going on, almost on that unrolled paper. There are sometimes much much thicker rolls which are somehow arrogant and evil. In another nightmare, you can see a horrible great contraption of black cogs and metal (you see from the inside at an angle) and down there is a stockman walking along on a white background there is a (line-drawn) bench as well (which is kind of irrelevant). You know he is going to be killed by the machine. It goes down and consumes and kills him without you seeing properly. This last part happens as the dream is ending. Another one, which seems a tiny bit similar to the first, is where there is a thick tube (not hollow) that is cheating in a game by skipping round in an area and hopping insanely far back to the other side. One time I half woke up in the night and the nightmare was still going on. I half unconsciously stood up and slowly walked in then out my room then back in. I wasn't meaning to, it was automatic like I had to. I was the point of view aka camera in my nightmare which was followed a line (a bit like the others) which was going along in the air and bouncing back at corners quite quickly. My eyes were open but I could have sword it was there if I was fully awake. Also, in those two, space is a lot bigger than normal, like the room was ENORMOUS, the space in it, in a horrifically awe strikingly scary way. In one more nightmare there is this sort of vehicle with which seems like a shark, but also cylindrical sometimes with a steering wheel that isn't there. You have to go on it and it goes along nowhere, but every single time something isn't right and you have to go back to an area which I guess is for waiting. Your family is usually there, but you have to try and do it again. All these nightmares are horrific although I'm often not literally scared at the time. It's a paralysing fear that paralyses your mind and controls you. Nothing in the nightmares make and sense in the physical world, they're like a bunch of strong feelings bundles up into a frightening abstract scenario. You try to make sense of them and you see what some things resemble, though that only makes it make less sense. I had one just a few nights ago. They aren't frequent, but they stick in your mind. I always say, the scariest things (BY FAAAAAAAR) are things that don't make sense. It just turned midnight, I hope I'll be fine, probably. I hope you all get better as well. Edit: they are like a race sometimes. Btw I'm 15. I pray you are all relieved of these nightmares.

• Edited

I understand what you mean with abstract dreams. They indeed seemed to occur to me when I was younger too, about your age.

Most of the times it was the same 'theme'. I would be in this game, and I knew I had to do a certain thing to get out. I knew that if I didn't, I would die. The terrorizing aspect was that I wouldn't save myself on purpose. I let myself die every time again. As if I froze. And I couldn't change it, and when I died I would wake up.

In another one visually there was only a circle in the dark. But I knew that I was that circle. Something was stuck to me, like a piece. And that piece felt horrible, it made me full of terror. I knew that it represented the job I had at the time.

The crazy part is that these powerful emotions seem to surface in these 'simple' dreams. Like they surfice in their simplest, most basic and raw form. While on the surface of your life you don't really notice them, or they only show as generalized anxiety, or specific anxiety, you don't experience the depth of your fear and raw emotion, that seems to exist on a level much much deeper in our minds.

Even though they are full of terror, they do show a different 'realm' of the mind. It's something you could consider during your daily life. That on some level, our 'small' fears, are merely a shadow of this ultimate pure terror in the depths of our minds. It might not be such a bad thing to have anxiety 'disorder'. It gives you a chance to open up and investigate this deeper fear gradually.

And maybe one day you will have 'burned' it all, and see what lays behind it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.