Weird circular marks on arm

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, about a month ago I got some weird marks appear on both my arms, there is one on each arm and they're about double the size of a 10p coin. One is on my forearm and the other one is on my bend where my forearm joins bicep. I went to the doctors who thought it was ringworm as they're almost a perfect circle and have a darker ring around the edge, well the left one has this the right one is more red all over. They prescribed me tablets and cream (terbafine) tried this for a few weeks but no change. I went back again and they said it could be eczema or psoriasis so i tried a steroid cream (fucibet) for that, still no luck or change. The one on my right arm is a lot more red and inflamed. I also tried tea tree oil which looked like it may be working but it seemed to just dry the skin out and still leave the redness underneath so I stopped using it. I'm lost as to what this could be as it isn't spreading and hasn't got any bigger but nothing seems to cure it, any ideas? I did start of extremely itchy but not it is not itchy just a little sore when touched. If there's a way I can post photos of it someone let me know and I'll show you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have eczema myself and it does look like whats known as nummular or discoid eczema. Although there are so many skin conditions that can look like ringworm, I'd be interested to find out what it is!

I've managed my excema with bathing and moisturising (a lot!!!), and using steroid ointment. Although my skin condition was getting pretty difficult to manage  over the last year as I have chronic urticaria aswell, I am currently taking oral staroids and other immunosuppressants that have cleared my skin up a treat!! 

Hope you get an answer and some suitable treatment soon!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm glad to hear you're keeping yours at bay! I have just started using Fucibet which I only got yesterday but seems to be slightly reducing the redness even though nothing else has changed. Should I be putting any moisturiser or anything on the effected areas Aswell as the twice a day steroid cream?

Thanks for your help!

• Posted

Hiya!

Thanks! It's only with the help of my dermatologist that's really got my skin under control. I cannot thank him enough!

I'd check with your pharmacist maybe but as far as I know I think it wouldn't hurt to moisurise, but you'd have to leave a certain amount of time in between applications as the fucibet wouldn't absorb properly. I have super sensitive skin but use cetreben cream daily, and sometimes epaderm cream. I know it always depends on the person as to which creams to use. I've read about those two creams being real irritants for some people. I can't use e45 cream but others swear by it!

I know people say don't Google things but I've found the national eczema society and bad to be quite useful. That's if it is eczema!

:-)

http://www.eczema.org/

http://www.bad.org.uk/

• Posted

Using steroid creams for long term is a wrong choice.You must keep the inflamation at the lowest level possible first of all.If those spots persist for weeks or months then you have to make a biopsy.Then you could get the proper treatment.Dry spots?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.