Weird colors, blurry or watery eyes with Menopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone experienced prism colors around the eyes, or stars or like your periphery is all grayed out and all you see is the center, along with blurry and watery eyes? I've been on occasion seeing like spot lights at the corner of my eyes. Is this just me being weird or does anyone else experience anythng similar. All started about a year ago, at the start of menopause.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I started to get this in peri and it sounds like migraine auras, i had my eyes checked and they were ok, i use to get them four times or so a month. I didnt get a migraine with them but sometines a pain over the eyes. Due to family history i had my ovaries removed last year, i didnt get anymore of these auras so i believe hormone inbalances caused it and i also read it is a symptom of meno x
    • Posted

Oh my Pink, thank you for answering this! I never even attributed it to meno, I've been getting them more often, and it sort of frightens me, as to why I'm seeing it. I got my first migraine a few weeks ago, and felt pressure in my eyes, so now I know, it's part of this menophase. I've been seeing floaters a lot more, something I never had before, no idea if that's also a part of this phase. But, thank you again for responding in kind to this eye issue. Hugs xxx
    • Posted

That's ok, I know all these symptoms are daunting! When it first happened to me, i felt nauseous (which is linked to migraine) but i didnt connect the two, i just had the aura thing. If you google video of migraine aura you can see roughly what it looks like. Sort of flashing zig zag colours. I use to know when one was coming as i lost the central vision , when i went to look at something i couldnt quite see it all, so i knew then an aura was about to start. Quite alarming when it hasnt happened before!, so glad i could help give you peace of mind to know it is quite normal x
  • Posted

Yes I've experienced that in my left eye. Thought it was an old age thing or my left eye was getting weaker. Went in to see my eye Dr. and my eyes were both fine. In fact, he said my vision slightly improved in the one eye so he changed my script. So strange all these oddball symptoms.

Yesterday my ear was hurting. Thought it was an ear infection starting, so I took some ibuprophin and it went away. Go figure.

• Posted

Yes, didi, all oddball symptoms. I went to my eye doctor last year as well, and said, my vision was better too! My script came in 1/2 grade down from what I was before. But still strange things going on with my eyes. He said it could be hormonal imbalance. But I see jaggered edges with prism colors around the edges at times, or flash light's popping in my eyes. Last week I kept thinking it was lightning but then someone standing beside me say no, the suns out. Really weird.

Yes, the ear problem comes and goes. All viral I suspect. I sometimes take Vitamin C and it cures it.

• Posted

I had the flashy light thing in my left eye too. I think they call it halos. I thought I was having a mini stroke the one day. Only lasted a couple seconds. Yes did seem like lightening or prism flashes. Then it went away. So strange. I think it's just another symptom, amongst other annoying ones.

Hang in there Patra

• Posted

Thanks didi, trying to. Now my hot flushes came back. Oh lordy lord lord, I thought I had kicked this in the bucket and out of nowhere it shows up. At least I'm not calling the ER, or showing up like I use to. I know they thought I was crazy, what I wanted was an oxygen tank but no one would prescirbe it to me. Because when my mom had the tank and I use to take in air, everything would go away. I think our bodies lack fresh oxygen too. The fresh oxygen would clear up all my symptoms. But when she passed away they took away the tanks. And that's when it all started.  Thanks for the confirmation of the eye lightning strikes more than once thing. smile
  • Posted

Hi patrathegreat,

Maybe you should see an optician.

I had like aura you get if you've ever had migraine. I kept getting in my right eye outer corner and thinking I was going to get a headache soon.

Then several times what looked like moving chevrons. Then in the sun I would find myself putting my arm up to see properly. I kept thinking I should go to the optician but putting it off like you do.

Then I started getting irritated by lights that were to my right and having difficult driving at night. The headlights looked like long laser beams.

When I finally got to see the optician they take like a picture of your eye and she did the right one 4 times and when I saw it I was panic stricken it looked like something awful (lol menopause panic I think oh no it must be eye cancer).

I have a cataract. I've got used to it now but it drove me potty for a while.

• Posted

Hi Angie, yes, headlights at night are like laser beams I have to put the mirrors on shadow mood to keep the lights from hitting my eyes. Okay, will get it checked out then. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.