Weird concentration problem which I haven't seen before

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am struggling with severe anxiety coupled with depression/depersonalization, emotional numbness, depression, etc coupled with brain fog. I have been lead to believe that my concentration problems are due to the anxiety but I'm not so sure (haven't been to a GP about this problem). Any time I try to think/concentrate/get to the full potential of my brain, I start feeling lightheaded and dizzy, like my blood pressure drops really low in my head and my ears start ringing. Any time I try to remember something or try to rationalize or just plainly try to get my executive function up and running, I'm bombarded with this problem like there is not enough blood in me to actually circle through my entire brain. It's really destroying my studying potential and I can never engulf myself into the subject because I literally do not have the ability to! When I tell this to my parents, they don't believe me (I've never been the lying type) and just think that I'm trying to give myself excuses. My symptoms also include some headaches of all types, mainly in the front of my head. Sometimes when I feel really tired I feel a little vertigo, like I'm pulled to one side.

My blood pressure is 100/60~110/70 and blood tests showed that everything was normal, hemoglobin was 141. I'm 19, ~1.90m. I'm trying to focus out all of the disabling anxiety and depression symptoms from this, but I don't really think it's from panic, since I'm trying to observe myself and I don't start hyperventilating like crazy. I feel more of a zap of pleasure during this, like my derealization and brain fog are starting to lift but the excitement is too much and I start fainting. This happens for around a second. One time I was trying REALLY HARD to concentrate on a test but I physically couldn't do it, I felt like I knew all the information, but I need the full capacity of my head to write it down and for it to be coherent. So I tried really hard into concentrating and my blood pressure dropped so low that I started to get really dizzy and started to see black around the edges of my vision and everything sounded like it was a mile away from me. I freaked out that I was going to faint in the middle of class and become a laughing stock in front of everybody and luckily that panic pumped my heart and brang me back into my semi-aware brain fog that I'm constantly in. Thus I become extremely depressed that nobody believes me and I may be stuck like this forever and at the same time not be able to actually do anything about it because it impairs me mentally.

All of this started after me trying a low dose of magic mushrooms (It has been the biggest mistake in my life, the cause of my debilitating anxiety and depression). Everywhere everyone said that shrooms are one of the safest things with which you can experiment with, and to an extent, I still agree, but this has just been unlucky for me.

The only logical reason I could find is that I depleted my serotonin, since that is all the symptoms matching (in a way). I do have terrible anxiety and being overwhelmed and abnormally low self-esteem, I do have mood swings and migraine type headaches, I do have GI issues, mainly constipation, and from what I've read, serotonin controls the cardiovascular system and more serotonin = higher blood pressure. And this is also causing migraine headaches, because the blood vessels in the brain open up and leading to the pain. Migraine medicine is based on serotonin alternation. Serotonin is also a neurotransmitter that plays a role in cognitive function and sends signals smoothly from one neuron to the other. It plays a role in memory formation and cognition and thus indirectly to attention deficit. This is the only logical explanation that I could think of. All my blood tests showed nothing serious. I have been on 5HTP (50mg morning and 50mg before bed) for the last 5 days after realising all of this and I do feel a bit of a improvement but it's too early to speculate. After 7 days of it, I'm going to be doubling my dose and see how it goes, since if this really is the root of my problem, I'm really deep into it to experience every single symptom, so I would really have to go heavy on the dose and not just be on the minimum maintenance does that is recommended. Well the most reasonable choice is actually to go to a professional, be it a neurologist or psychiatrist but I wasn't able due to the sheer amount of anxiety/stress being on my shoulders and the situation in life I am right now. I just wanted to post here because I wonder if I could get someone's opinion on this, since I've never heard anything like this in the entire Internet!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Narardaru,

Wow, that's really deep! I sometimes feel so disconnected from life and ppl. My brain feels lie the neutrons fire off like I can actually ferl them, but I know this is different for you. Other than that, iv never heard of anything like wht you are experiencing g. My heart goes out to you. Please go c a neurologist. Even if just to give you peace of mind. I truly dnt think it would be something they can't help you with. It may just be as sime as a med to help get you back to normal feeling again..keep us posted..and hey..no more shrooms..wink I always tell myself these words and it helps when I am fearful and stressed about health..it will be what it will be and if it will be God will give me what I need to get thru it..wink keep us posted!!!

• Posted

Thank you for the support! After reading more on the Internet about anxiety I THINK it's just that. A form of vasovagal syncope that is triggered from this, because my main anxiety is rooted from the anxiety itself (a form of a drug induced panic disorder) and the lack of concentration and when it starts to lift I get too excited and react like people that faint when they see blood.

Just to point out, I don't like shrooms or drugs in general, just the occasional alcohol a few times a year at a birthday or something with friends. I was lead to believe (from my girlfriend at the time, who also grew them) that the shrooms wouldn't do anything in long-term, like I would just trip for a few hours and everything would be back to normal. Well the next morning I felt really spacey and emotionally numb with a bit of anxiety and I just felt really overwhelmed from everything that is going on and like I can't handle my life anymore and that caused a big episode of derealization that is still continuing 4&1/2 months later. I like being in control of myself and my life but after that I felt incapable of doing anything and thus => anxiety! Again, all of this is a symptom of serotonin deficiency. Since I also heard from everyone that this is impossible and that I'm only fooling myself and it's all in my head, I completely disregarded the fact that it could be a chemical imbalance and started just telling myself to relax and that it's all in my head, but I couldn't! I felt that there was something wrong and I'm not the type of person to ignore problems especially when they impact me everyday of my life. So now after starting the 5HTP I feel a lot better and haven't panicked since then but it's still a long way to go and I really do need a lot of therapy lol.

• Posted

A part of the serotonin production chain. The tryptophan from food is converted to 5-hydroxytryptophan (5htp) which is later converted with the help of B vitamins to 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-ht), or as most of us know it - serotonin!
    • Posted

Think it’s time to tell your girl friend to get lost because that stuff can do many things do u want to trip out is it worth ur life no it’s not hun . That could be reason specially when ur taking other stuff . Kick her to the curve get a nice girl that don’t do stuff like that or get her away from stuff like that . You seem like good guy your studying don’t do this to your self or your parents . If she does that pushes it is she really worth it no she’s not . Start thinking about your life or you will destroy it . To me think your better then that right?
    • Posted

Oh my relationship with that girl has ended prematurely because she didn't want to deal with me when I was severely anxious, so she just left me causing even more anxiety and derealization.

You know how people with depression and/or anxiety know that they are being irrational but can't help themselves because it is literally the way it changes the brain. She didn't believe in that and just told me to suck it up. I also partly believed that I'm being overly dramatic but I couldn't help myself and it caused me to want to escape my head so even more derealization/depersonalization. So when she left me because I was a mess, I felt even more unreal, like I couldn't snap out of it. It's a long story to be honest and I'm planning to go to a psychiatrist soon so I hope for the best!

P. S. I've tried getting her to stop messing around with her own health but because her brother was an amphetamine addict, she saw it like something casual and normal to do any sort of drug. She saw illegal drugs like amphetamines and methamphetamines, crack, heroin and shrooms as something casual, like alcohol and coffee, that everyone does but just hides it as part of the social standards. She wasn't addicted to anything but that way of thinking is just f****d up, unhealthy and really unrealistic. I blame her environment. This type of behaviour could be normal for the low life type of her brother and his friends, but it definitely isn't normal for the casual everyday citizen. Now when I think about it, she was kinda messed up in the head lol.

• Posted

I’ve heared of Serotonin through some conversation on here what is it used for axiety depression ? My grandson takes melatonin for sleeping only during week of school going on 14 in May because think it’s  hereditary he’s got axiety to sad to say when he was young it started due to issues but I’m best grandma hahaha I take him lots such smart kid he’s my rock . I took them his sister swimming yesterday cause gbs I’m back at the gym swimming is the best for axiety , depression and gbs .Life so much stress in life but if we can stay away from it pull away from it better off .Thats what I did for my grandson .When I was hospitalized on life support he just would do every thing to help me and when I got off the life support he would go get me water juice , brush my hair it affected him knowing I was sick . So now that I’m still fighting but better then before he comes on week end helps me . Does any one worry about there kids going to high school I hear it’s so bad now compared to few years ago to much kids into drugs I worry but this is what he says to me .Oma look you think I’m stupid well I’m not and if some one pushed it on me I’d say this I’m not an idiot if your friend u wouldn’t ask me or push it on me cause ur the idiot and now be off cause ur not my friend . He’s so halarious I love that kid but Holly they start thinking there the boss now hahaha . God I live for my grand kids kids don’t think I would of made it other wise . Hugs you know we’re here to talk to good to talk to others some times it’s better therapy then going to a doctor.
    • Posted

Well then she was not worth it see runs in her brother so on . Oh well then she never cared best that you left look ur doing better right ? Good you got away from her she didn’t care enough then sad to say she’s worse then u then at least your talking about it doing some thing about it other wise u wouldn’t be here asking for help to talk about it . You don’t need her take your time your studying the right girl will come along ur still young and when it does u will say. Omg why did I even date that chick what was my head thinking thank god . Next gonna love you so much and be there for you that’s ❤️ love .
    • Posted

Can I buy tht over the counter and if so what kind should I get. I would like to find something to maybe help all the strange sensations I have in my head..wink
    • Posted

You can buy it from food supplement brands, I was using NOW brand but finished it today. You can Google around for some success stories. In some countries it's prescription only though. Here in Bulgaria, we have a pharmacy company that actually makes it pharmacy-grade and it's cheaper and OTC as well. It's called Neolexan and like the other versions, it's made from herbs too, but I have more belief in the pharmaceutical than the supplements that aren't controlled that much. When our psychiatrists decide that medication should be involved they first try with herbs and OTC meds like 5-HTP, St. John's Wort, tryptophan, proper diet and other stuff. Just when that doesn't work, they decide to bring out the big guns. I've heard that in the US they prescribe antidepressants like candy lol.

Now if you want to try it, I don't know what brand to recommend, but get 50mg pills and just start with one before bed on an empty stomach. Play around with the dosage and see how you feel. For some people the effects will start at least two weeks after starting it. Because I was seriously struggling, I felt my effects around 24 hours from the first pill. The only side effects are nausea that is not that common. Good luck if you want to try it, hope I helped!

• Posted

Thank you. I may just give tht a try. Yes, it is so true about antidepressants. They do give thm like candy. Not all. My last dr refused to give me anything. When I was having panic attacks she asked me how long b4 I calmed. I said about 30 min. She said well thts how long itd take the pills to work..made sense. I am so not a med taker. I do do natural, and like you tho, if natural didnt work I'd get meds. But praise God I do not need any meds..wink only a basic spray or something and vitamins. Hopefully it stays tht way. I find lots of prayer and breathing excercises help tremendously..wink

• Posted

Well to be honest I do generally prefer the "fake" pharmaceutical chemicals because they just work. Most of the time I find that herbs are very weak for my needs, because I have a high tolerance for discomfort and when I actually do have to take something for my problem/s, it's already way beyond the "herb" point. But this time this is an exception because of the overwhelming anxiety. When I read about someone getting worse on prescription ADs I just feel sick to my stomach. The anxiety has also stopped me from seeking professional help. It's kind of a enchanted loop that is hard to break out of.

Although I have read about antidepressants horror stories, I have just roamed around some Internet forums a bit a found out that not only are antidepressants really effective, but almost no one develops side effects and even if they do, they are mild like slight nausea. That actually was a huge relief because mainstream media can be really manipulative in that sense, even more on the sick anxious mind trying to find help.

• Posted

Yes, constipation can be caused from that, but I'm not taking any iron supplements lol. Actually my peristalsis has been fixed after starting the 5HTP. I feel like there is improvement, but I'm going to get high on the dose starting from tomorrow!

• Posted

Hi Hun , just wanted to tell you that there are many of us here with axiety and depression , some are worse then others I had little before I got sick with gbs . But 1 ) don’t listen to people about its ok to take mushrooms cause it isn’t please don’t do this again ok? 2) we all react to different drugs stuff medications please don’t do that either it’s not good you want to stay alive. Also since you already have axiety depression it could be getting worse why I say that because my daughter had it due to taking weed it was very very bad I literally had to take her in they sent her to a place in children’s hospital out patient every once week . People can tell u oh it won’t do this or that but u dame right it can . This could of started the issue . Due to all what u say do your parents no ur taking all the stuff medication ? Another thing studying can play lots you seem very smart person and basically the brain plays a big part specially studying lots of pressure I can see we’re The axiety can get worse or feel worse . Think maybe get the dr to do more test tell them about the mush rooms so on you don’t know if any one laced it right hun . Just go see your doctor explain about all this again be honest or u won’t get answers maybe u need a break from studying just for week to rest stay away from idiots they just had it on the news about all this and it being carmeth so on .So many young ppl dying for no reason sure ur parents would be sad all there life , you got the whole world pasically ahead of you hugs .Hope that helped!!!
    • Posted

Thank you for your support! I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter! A good friend of mine is also in the same situation, dealing with immense anxiety and disassociation/emotional numbness after his first and only experience with weed. He was such a motivated and talented person. His story was that his father, who was very sick since the last few years so he was caring for him, had passed away. He was in a really bad place and was peer pressured to try weed (just like me with the shrooms) and he had a bad experience. Since then he has had a year-long episode of derealization and panic. He is even worse than me, because he wakes up during the night with a panic attack and has hallucinated a little when this started. That sounds terrifying. I've come to believe that the people who experience bad drug experiences are the ones who are the most fighting and high spirited folk. The ones that refuse to give up, just like your daughter.

If it could help, may I add, that I also have had a bad experience with weed before when it was my first and only time trying it. I had my first panic attack the day after it, but because it was the start of the summer vacation, I really didn't have anything to worry about so the anxiety faded away in 2-3 days. I was still a bit shacken up for a week and a bit after that with some derealization but I had my widths with me and was telling myself "it's just weed, I've never seen anyone being left half brain dead from it" so that really helped me to get out of that mindset. Life's stressors play a role in here as well. I really wish you luck with the recovery!

As for my condition, I think it's anxiety based as well. I've come to the conclusion that it's a form of vasovagal syncope that happens from the excitement of actually being able to focus, because that is a big part of my anxiety.

• Posted

It could be Hun but still I’m not a doctor and honestly still see your doctor and that’s a private thing from your parents and if I hope you talk to them see your doctor see what he or she says could be some thing else and even me to I got server axiety depression only cause I got really sick know wonder being paralyzed and on life support who wouldn’t right ? But still I pushed lots of physio at least I’m walking now just need to push little more but still my axiety seems to hit late afternoon it’s not fun maybe your doctor can prescribed you some thing to relax like if I feel panic I only take Lorazapan when I feel I have to take it just relax me to not have axiety attack so I don’t want to feel I have to take it every day only when I feel this . Try take few days to relax little more hun . My daughter is older now she has been pretty good for few years but it can hit suddenly u don’t know it . Talk soon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.