Weird detached feeling

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello everyone ive been on citalopram for about 3 months at 20mg and have been on 30mg for almost 2 weeks. i started taking citalopram for anxiety after experiencing 3 panic attacks. since starting citalopram i find i have a real foggy head after a nap and i feel like everyone is behind glass and that i cant connect to anyone. i am really frightened by this feeling and it last usually for 6hrs. Im also having terrifying nightmares most nights. i also have really bad morning anxiety. my question is do you think the foggy feeling and nightmares are caused by anxiety or by the citalopram. has anyone had these feelings then had them get better over time. Im feeling so scared and trapped, I cant stand the panic attacks, but in someways if this is caused by the citalopram i think this is almost as bad as the panic its meant to be helping. Any advice please i know if i go to my doctor she will just want to up the dosage even more. has anyone ever got better from anxiety and panic without medication. thank you Laura

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Look for Katecogs on this forum, she is a life saver and recovered on Citalopram and very well informed, she will help you

But what you are going through is normal, its side effects , your body adjusting to new dose.

I am on Fluoxetine and had all those feelings and symptoms including nightmares, it will go away.

You will hey there, stay strong and positive

• Posted

Laura,

did you get a response from Katie cogs? I get the same type of stuff that you are talking about. I also get very woozy/drunk/drugged feeling it's very odd but like you I'm wondering is it the citalopram or is it my anxiety symptom. did your stuff ever go away?

• Posted

hi laura i took it in first week and even had a panick attack day one , i had the detached feeling like your not quite there ,am i right in that plus woosy and of balance, i had a normal day and then i suffer from insomnia its racing thoughts ,we have to have faith we will be ok ,if i had a day that i felt myself and grounded you will to , i hope that helps , we all on this together how are you now x

• Posted

DId your woozy feeling go away? Do you think its from anxiety or from the citalopram? I just cant get that woozy/off balance/floaty feeling to go away...wondering if I need a higher dose. I did well on 10mg for many years, but seemed not to be helping as much probably because of more stress. I went to 12.5 for a week, then to 15 for 11 days now...how ar you doing now?

• Posted

the last couple of days i have felt myself finally, i had such a bad time on citilapram from the word go , i was never as depressed and anxiety as on them and then i went through this whole withdrawal no emotions which was my worst part i would be watching something and it would be clenched jaw and no feeling about it which was so scary , but now i have anxiety about the ordeal i went through and have to find away of forgetting about it as each day goes by, i still worry though,i do feel faint and wobbly nut i think its my anxiety or me thinking about it to much

• Posted

Oh so you are no longer on Citalopram? I went through a long ordeal in 2017 with my medication's and yes, I swear I have PTSD from that! I decided at one time that I didn't need the citalopram anymore and slowly weaned off it, but apparently not slowly enough. I was OK for about three weeks and then all hell broke loose. And at that time, the doctors didn't know what the heck was going on with me. So I was put through many many different tests. Then was put on one medication and taken off them just as quickly. Finally, I got fed up and said just put me back on the citalopram , and once I was on that, it took about a good 6 to 8 weeks to feel much better. Fast forward to now, I was on 10 mg for quite some time but I always kind of felt like I was just managing my anxiety. I have had about three years of high stress. Finally, my doctor talked me into going up to 20 mg but because I was concerned about side effects which most likely was due to what I went through in 2017, I decided to go up to 12.5 for a week and then I am now 15 mg for 11 days. I just keep trying to read everything I can about anxiety. There are just so many symptoms that it's just so hard to figure out , if you are having side effects from medication or these are in fact enhanced anxiety symptoms since every time you start an SSRI or change the dose you get enhanced anxiety for a while. It's really debilitating. Do you think you will go back on medication if you are now taking nothing?

• Posted

i doubt i will i really do not know at this point , i need to just hit normal like i was before the meds, and see how i go on ,i suffer alot of anger and stress and its hard to work out exactly i do need, im having a cbt session tommorow ,first one i need to talk but im ok on the other hand , i was only on cit for 5 days and like i said it bothered me so with the abrupt stoppage i felt it , i will keep you posted, and i trully believe we should all care for each other it makes so much difference

• Posted

I agree that we do need to care for each other....CBT is suppose to be really good I need to do that myself. Yes you probably need to see where your normal base line is again. Keep us update.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.