Weird diarrhea after diverticulitis attack

Posted , 7 users are following.

Recovering from second diverticulitis attack in 7 years. I am still on liquid diet, 5th day. Scared to eat anything!!! What is this weird diarrhea coming out of me every half hour? There can't still be food coming thru?! I remember this from last time. My gastro shrugged. It looks like dark brown shredded leaves that immediately sink, along with ALOT of water. I am drinking lots to stay hydrated. I know, TMI... Anyone have this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Many people have the runs following an attack.  It's a combination of the side effects of the very strong medication, and that only liquid is going in.  The medication strips the insides not only of the bad bacteria, but also the good ones and totally disrupts your normal rythym.  It can take weeks or even months to get back to normal. 

Human feces ordinarily has a light to dark brown coloration, which results from a combination of bile, and bilirubin derivatives of stercobilin and urobilin, from dead red blood cells, as well as undigested food.  That's where your coloration is coming from.  (I'm not a medical person - I Googled this).   

This forum contains many posters who have gone through exactly what you are experiencing now.  All say it takes time to get back to normal and for your confidence to return.  Hopefully once you have finished your medication, and a few weeks down the road, you will find a great improvement.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply!  Yes, I need confidence LOL! 
  • Posted

Even a liquid diet can produce some bowel movements but they can be very weird.  So, don't worry about that.  I started with bone broth and clear juices and then slowly added low residue foods.  Google "Low Residue Diet" and add one item at a time to make sure you can digest it.  It is a slow process but you will get better and learn what you can tolerate by going slow with one addition a day.

• Posted

Thank you!  I am taking it really slow, the bone broth is good.  I am a worrier, which is probably what got me into this in the first place!  My diet was super high fiber before, so not eating my big fat daily salad is hard. Hopefully only temporary.
  • Posted

You will be able to get back to salads soon enough.  But take it slow, and if you are take it step by step, you will feel better!  Start taking a good acidophilus pill after every meal.  Get one of those that have billions in them!
  • Posted

It's been 2 months since this has been posted and I'm curious as to your improvement as I am in a similar situation after my second bout in 16 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.