Weird EBV lab work result. Help please

Posted , 3 users are following.

EBV Ab VCA , Value < 36.0, Standard Range 0.0-35.9 U/ mL

EBV Ab VCA, Value < 18.0, Standard Range 0.0-17.9 U/mL

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG U/mL, Value > 600.0 Standard Range 0.0-17.9 U/mL

Why igM and IgG are negative but EBNA s positive? Do I have reactivated EBV or do I have chronic EBV?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

I have the same thing, after having mono again brought on by covid.

• Edited

Hi. thank you for replying. I'm a Cov Long Hauler of 27 mos. This was my first EBV lab. I had no idea i even had EBV before. Did your doctor include the EBV Early Antigen D AB (IGG)? how did you know it was reactivated?

• Edited

mountain.rains there are four tests for ebv, the one to find out if ebv has been reactivated is the EBV early antigen D AB (IGG), i know this is so confusing with these tests, my nuclear antigen is also high like 600 and it means that you had a previous ebv infection, and the numbers should go down with time, to interpret these tests is like a foreign language

• Posted

Hi Saba, thanks for the reply. i wish i can go get that test now but my condition got worst after a recent Cov reinfection, bedridden can't walk due to severe fatigue and dizziness. i assume it was reactivated. Is there anything i can take to treat it?

• Posted

mountain rains no unfortunately as far as i know there is nothing that you can take, i know that there are some supplements that some people take, read on this forum what people are taking, please keep us posted how you doing, i have severe anxiety, fatigue, headache, tremors, my blood pressure increased too, as i always had normal blood pressure, i'm so glad i've found this forum so we all can share

• Posted

i only suspect i have reactivated EBV. I'm taking lysine, and some other supplements for it. don't know if lysine should be taken on an empty stomach or with food. my main symptoms are severe debilitating fatigue and bad vertigo

• Edited

My apologies. i was copying and pasting and somehow some of the text got left out. it should read:

EBV Ab VCA , IgM Value < 36.0 NEGATIVE, Standard Range 0.0-35.9 U/mL

EBV Ab VCA, IgG Value < 18.0 NEGATIVE, Standard Range 0.0-17.9 U/mL

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG U/mL, Value > 600.0 POSITIVE, Standard Range 0.0-17.9 U/mL

• Posted

IGG 318, they say past infection.

I also have long haul, which I believe caused the reactivation of mono. I had covid the first time in Dec 20, followed by a positive mono test in March of 21. I was recovering and then had another bout of covid in May of 21 all the same mono feelings came back, was feeling better and then had another bout of covid in late Feb of 2022, which is why I had the latest ebv panel. I has been a struggle but mono/ebv has such a distinct feeling I believe it is reactivation.

• Posted

Oh ok. both my igM and IgG was negative. in order for it to be past infection and not reactivation, IgG has to be positive but mine was negative. Are you still dealing with Long Haul issues?

• Posted

Hi Mountain.rains,

Yes, I am doing better, but still tired and lack of appetite and a tremor in my left hand.

I don't understand the high igg and what makes that past infection.

• Posted

did ur doctor include the EBV early antigen test? if that part is positive then u have reactivated EBV. have u tried lysine, monolaurin, nac for EBV? I heard they help. im trying them

• Posted

These were the tests she ran, let me know what you think they are saying past infection but it doesn't feel like it. Last positive mono spot March of 21.

EBV AB VCA IGG>600

EBV AB VCA IGM<36

EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab IGG 318

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.