Weird feelings

Posted , 3 users are following.

Good Evening all

What a weird week I’m having. First let me start by saying I’m generally a healthy person, never really had any issues but this week I’m feeling somewhat different to normal.

ive had to come online before I do anything as for a few reasons I’m worrid, even scared and don’t know where to start.

I guess it sort of started last week when I was at work. I noticed that my hands and legs started to tingle, almost like they were vibrating on their own accord. I didn’t really think much about it tbh and thought it was just one of those things.

we are on holiday now and this is when the new stuff started. This week I’ve had these weird feelings and the only way I can describe it is “feeling low”. - it’s the feeling that I imagine diabetics to get when they need their dose of medication.

If I eat or drink something the feeling goes away to a point. But then I can feel it gradually coming back. The shakes, the feeling low, and tingling sensation.

i don’t know how else to express it. what I have noticed is that when I lay down I don’t seem to get the feeling as much and it sort of goes away (but it doesn’t)

I feel like I’m on my own here and my partner thinks it’s dehydration and the fact we aren’t eating much whilst on holiday and always on the move. However I seem to think it’s different, please tell me there are others out there like this.

what can I do? Is there a remedy? Is there something that will help me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, maybe  you should see the Dr just to make sure!?

I don't understand the low feelings that you think Diabetics get when we need our medication? 

As I said with you being so concerned about your symptoms  that a trip to the Dr may be a good idea.  They may just even be able to calm your worries!   Hopefully you'll feel alot better before your vacation is over!   Good luck, Susan 

• Posted

Hi GoodyOwl,

From your description, ma'am, you MAY actually be experiencing a hypoglycaemic [hypoglycemic, if you are, in fact, one of my American cousins] event.  This is a low blood sugar event.  (This, by the way, is absolutely nothing like a diabetic might feel when they need their medication.  Diabetes medications are used to lower blood sugar levels.)

Although dehydration can make people feel "low", the fact that you stated that if you eat or drink something the feeling goes away, indicates, to me, that it's MORE LIKELY to be low blood sugar.

IF it is hypoglycaemia, it really depends on how much and which type(s) of food you eat as to how long it fends off the symptoms recurring.

There are two main types of hypoglycaemia, the most common of which is called Reactive Hypoglycaemia.  This occurs due to the pancreas 'overproducing' insulin in response to the rise in blood sugar levels after eating or drinking.  Too much insulin results in blood sugar levels falling too much.  Unfortunately, there is no magic pill that will solve this.  Treatment is by way of dietary control. i.e. you'd need to break down your daily food intake from 3 main meals to 5 or 6 smaller meals that contain fewer carbohydrates, but also include fat or protein.  (Fats and proteins slow down the absorption of glucose, which we get from the breakdown of carbohydrates during the digestive process, which means we don't get a sudden 'spike' in blood sugar levels, which is what causes the pancreas to produce more insulin than is required.  Therefore, if not so much insulin is produced, you are MUCH LESS LIKELY to experience hypoglycaemic symptoms.)

There is a MUCH RARER type of hypoglycaemia, called fasting hypoglycaemia, which is normally caused by an insulin-producing tumour [tumor].  This type of hypoglycamia MAY require surgery to put right.

Having said all this, you really do need to be checked out by your doctor.  S/he may request that you undergo an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT), which would indicate if reactive hypoglycaemia is the actual 'problem'.  If it isn't reactive hypoglycamia AND you are actually experiencing hypoglycamic symptoms, further investigation would need to be carried out ... blood tests and POSSIBLY scans to determine whether you are actually producing more insulin than the 'normal' range.

I do hope, ma'am, that you'll see your doctor when you return home.  In the meantime, I certainly hope that you and your partner have a wonderful holiday, and that you don't experience more of the symptoms that you are experiencing.

Be well, ma'am.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick

x x x x

x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended, or alarmed, at the 'x's'.  It's merely a logo, of sorts, that I've used for about the last 40 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.