Weird feelings in chest for months

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 24 y/o female (never smoked) and for the past couple months I've been having these strange and random feelings in my chest. It's not so much pain as uncomfortable twinges here and there in different areas of my chest. I mostly get them on my right side about 2 inches below my collarbone. I went to my doctor in May who gave me an inhaler thinking it was asthma. They also took some chest x-rays. I stopped taking the inhaler after about a month since it wasn't helping. The chest x-rays came back saying I had scattered bilateral calcified granulomas. I went back to the Dr. last week to get follow up x-rays and there was no new growth with the granulomas and no other concerning areas. I'm still have these flutterings and aches in my chest and I feel like I should be relieved since my x-rays were clean but I'm concerned that there's still something there.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi FF1395,

The fact that the granulomas are calcified is a good thing. This usually indicate a past infection that is now resolved. Unfortunately, the chest X-ray is not the best diagnostic imaging tool available, so given that you are still experiencing symptoms you might want to have a better look at what is happening in your lungs with a chest CT scan.

Given your young age I am quiet sure you won't find anything, but I guess this is something you may want to consider for peace of mind if you are still concerned. Please be reminded that the respiratory tract may become hypersensitive after an infection, which would make you susceptible to rapid changes in temperature or irritants in the air.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.