Weird migraine+other symptoms for over 2 weeks now

Posted , 2 users are following.

A few weeks ago i developed a head pain that was different than any migraine I have had before. It was a burning sensation that was mainly on the left side of my head and around my ear. It would be unbearable for hours at a time than just become a normal pressure headache. After a few days I called my doctor and took medication for an ear infection because I was unable to go into the doctors office due to Covid 19. The medication did absoutly nothing and my head pain still returns(but not as frequently) and i can sometimes hear a swishing/crackling noise in the back of my head (almost at my neck). I also have the feeling of tingling in the back of my head occationaly and also soreness in my head and neck. I also just wanna put out that have a history if having anxiety attacks so when I start to worry i can become dizzy, out if breath, and almost numb, so when i have those symptoms I usually ignore it due to my history with anxiety. Due to my concerns I started to look up my symptoms and the things that are coming up seem pretty scary (stroke, brain tumor, spinal leak, ect) So i thought I should ask on here and see if any of you guys have any idea. I currently cant go into the doctors office due to coronavirus so this seems to be the next best thing. Thank you and any input is appreciated.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Hi Sabrina,

Do you also get a watery eye on the side of the head that is painful? I would say try not to worry as this will make it worse. It could be a Cluster Headache and this is something I get as well.

I would suggest that you phone your Dr again and tell him your symptoms, and suggest this could be cluster headache and he should prescribe you something like Sumatriptan, which is extremely good in dealing with the pain.

If things persist then you will need to ask for an MRI scan.

I hope I have been of some help Sabrina, do come back with any more questions, absolutely anything and I will try to advise what you could do.

Let me know how you get on

Take care

• Posted

I don't particularly get a watery eye on that side but due to alergies this time of year i have been getting watery red eyes in general. Thank you for your advice!

• Posted

Hi Sabrina,

Are you taking meds for the allergies? It maybe that they are causing the headache if you are taking one that can make you drowsy for instance.

You could also try some simple neck stretching exercises. Twisting first to the left then the right, do that 10 times on each side, then the same for laying your head one side then the other. Some Anti-inflammatory gel to rub in your neck as well would help.

Let us know how you get on please

Take care

• Posted

I an currently not on any medication for allergies but will definitely try out the neck stretches. Thank you so much!

• Posted

You are very welcome Sabrina! Just come back to me if you want to ask any more questions, I will try and help if I can. But come back anyway because I am keen to know how you get on and whether the neck stretches help.

Take care!

• Posted

Sorry to bug you again but my head still hurts so i did more research on cluster headaches and my symptoms are very similar. However the pain is mostly toward the back of my head rather than around my eye on that side. However my left eye has been having slight issues with vision but once I rub it it goes back to normal. Its more of an alergy type vision issue rather than watery. Also I have done some research on brain tumors which also has similar symptoms to cluster headaches however I havent experianced any nausea, balance issues or any of the really sever symptoms. Just thought it was worth noting that the temperature in my area has gotten very hot in the last few weeks and my sleep schedule has been pretty awful since my last college semester caused me to sleep during abnormal hours of the day. Sorry to sound paranoid but im trying to avoid going into the doctors due to covid and am extreamly worried that i have a brain tumor which would require me to go into the doctors so I thought I should ask for advice first. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Sabrina,

First of all you are not bugging me, so any time OK.

Sleep plays a big part in controlling headaches and if the routine is interrupted, as it has been, then this will have a big impact on you. Temperature changes too will all have an effect.

So can we put the eye issue down to an allergy? If so, do you have drops or tablets for that? Loratadine 10mg tablets, cheapest I have found is in Boots, if you live in UK, they are good as they don't make you sleepy.

So going back to the headaches, if you just have neck ache and some frontal pain, then try not to worry and consider getting Paracetamol with caffeine in and Ibuprofen together. If this combo doesn't work then consider something with Codiene in. The strongest one is Solapadeine Max. But see how they affect you.

How did you find the neck stretches? Look at how you sleep too, are your pillows too high/low, try to sleep so your head neck and spine are all aligned.

Don't forget, come back to me with any questions and let me know about the suggested meds. Always happy to help.

Take care

• Edited

Thank you again for your advice. The neck stretches help quite a bit with my neck soreness. I have been using benadryl for my allergies which does help a bit but does make me drowsy so I will definatly check out the ones you recomend. I will also try the medications for the headpain as well. Thank You so much!

• Posted

You are welcome!

Let me know how you get on Sabrina please.

But unless you have any additional symptoms, I would try not to worry and you can always come back and ask me anything. Worrying will only make any symptom worse, so try to relax and enjoy the down time doing something fun. the more you can laugh the less your symptoms will be.

Take care

• Posted

Hi again! My head pain hasnt been too bad today but all day when I move my head i have been hearing fluid in the very back of my head near my neck. A few weeks ago I had the same issue but then it went away for a bit. I was just wondering what could be causing that?

• Edited

Hi Sabrina,

This is almost certainly muscular tension and the best way to deal with it is do those stretches I told you about 3 - 4 times a day. Also when the situation we are in allows it, have an Indian Head Massage. This will release deep muscular tension in your head and neck and you will feel so much better.

But the anxiety issues that you have don't help this situation. Whatever you are worrying about, try to put it into context and you will feel a bit better.

Sabrina if you wanted to talk about ANY issue you can private message me and I will help if I can. I am a trained Life Coach and can help with most things.

Take care

• Posted

The neck stretches definatly help alot and i will start doing them 4 times a day instead of 1-2. But the anxiety definatly amplifies the symptoms and makes things 10X worse. It also makes it hard to determine whats going on due to any other medical condtions or if its just anxiety. I have been having frequent panic attacks for the last 6 months and It really sucks. I also had them a few years ago but they went away for around 2 years but suddenly returned so any help with those is tremendous help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.