weird mirtazapine side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 5 weeks into starting 7.5mg of mirtazapine. My doc prescribed me it for sleep, eating, depression, and anxiety/panic.

I don't need to begin with the over-eating as most of you are probably familiar with that. It worked for my sleep for a week, now I'm back to staying up until 6 am. I take it at 9pm sharp. All it does is make me feel like I was hit by a truck all day the next day, like I'm dragging my body through tar, and I am so foggy I'm nervous to drive. I can't get out of bed when the alarm goes off, but I can't sleep. It has done nothing for the social anxiety which I care most about, but he told me to hang in there for the effects to work. I cant find any evidence that it's more beneficial for social anxiety than an SSRI. I have eye pain all the time, like my sockets are sore every time I move my eyes and they are puffy but that could be water retention. My face is so puffy I don't look like the person I was before it, and since starting the med I have constant sinus pain and pressure, obviously around the eyes in particular and have to clear my throat in the mornings. It feels dry.

I am nervous because I have to move for work in 10 days. I should have been adamant about going off the med sooner but I wanted to give it a chance, for the panic in particular. Everyday has gotten worse, especially the sedation (that doesn't cure the insomnia). I feel like a zombie. If I bring this up with my doc would 10 days be enough time to ween off considering I'm only on 7.5? I got so frustrated about all of this today, I am aware of how "out of it I am" and just started uncontrollably crying.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i have soreness around my eye sockets undef my eyes, feel totally knocked out and have a sore throat too. did you manage to wean yourself off? i'm on 15mg and want to get off it.

• Posted

I am in a similar situation, been on it for 10 days and havea few strong side-effects. The main one is that every sudden sound, image, surprise, jumpscare, mini-panic feeling (e.g. dropping something, phone dying before sending text, and other trivial things) causes me what I can only describe as a painful head rush. like a painful sensation of dread wacking me at the back of the head and for a split second causing me to extreme discomfort. I am not sure how or what this could be, if it's blood pressure related or some reaction to the antihistamine, I do vaguely recall a sinilar reaction to an anti-histamine I took earlier (but both drug and reaction were milder). Has anyone experienced this? I would preferably want to quit before withdrawal becomes an issue or before this issue becomes hardwired in me.

• Posted

I've never been on mirtazapine, so cannot speak to your symptoms. However, many of the old tricyclic antidepressants cause cholinergic, histamine-like effects.

Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic and thus a close chemical cousin to the tricyclics, so prrhaps the mirtazapine is causing your issues.

• Posted

Mental health drugs when on high dosages cause the "zombie feeling" just stick to one size of dosage and do not keep changing medication, and give the medication time to work, and fight through the pain. It originally took 8 months for the mental health drug to work for me, but now the drug is a blessing for me. I can lower the dosage from 15mg to 10mg but i choose not to, because i like to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.