Weird MVD Surgery Side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had MVD surgery and it was successful at relieving the pain 3 yrs ago, but the side effects have been drastically life changing. 6 months after surgery I started to feel pressure against surgery area, and long story short-my entire body has a nonstop vibration, tremor like symptoms, kind of like a sonicare toothbrush 24/7, and it all started at surgery area. It causes severe dizziness too because the shooting down my entire body also goes into the brain. Other weird symptoms are that Ive become sensitive to touching almost everything in which it increases the "shooting vibration in entire body". I have to wear gloves all the time now. ALSO, i often have a severe tightning feeling of the brain, neck, chest area- in which it impacts my breathing, vision and thinking. ALSO, theres a constant flickering in my vision, its like static electricity in vision and throughout whole body. I haven't been able to work or even be in a relationship. Ive only seen one person post exact outcome of surgery but cant re-find it. CAN ANYONE ELSE RELATE? ANY information would help!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can't relate to your symptoms, but I do want to thank you for sharing your experience with us. People often ask me why I don't get the MVD surgery and I tell them that the side effects scare me. Your story needs to be heard so that people can make an educated decision as to whether this surgery is the best option for them. I hope and pray you find the answers and the healing that you need.

• Posted

I had my MVD surgery 1 year ago, it saved my life even though I was only pain free for 6 months. After 6 months my pain is slowly coming back. I only have a sensitive area around my scar, You can't see my scar just feel it. My Neurologist is wanting me to do the Gamma Knife now. I'm scar to have it done .

• Posted

That sounds awful so sorry to hear what your going through, I've never heard of that being a side effect? You should see a lawyer for malpractice! Your Dr. Could have done something wrong! You might need another more reputable Surgeon to go in and fix the problem. My Surgeon Dr.John Lee Penn Med hospital Philadelphia has performed over 500 mvd surgeries and was the Protege of the Man who invented MVD SURGERY. He was truly a blessing from God. You might need to investigate because it sounds like malpractice to me!

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear all of those terrible symptoms. I don't have all of those but I too have a lot of uncomfortable post MVD effects. Please click my profile ID to read my posts.

• Posted

Hi friend. So sorry you are going through this. Something about your surgery location and your symptom location does not add up at all. I hope you are scheduling an appt with a doctor. Just my opinion but, either your surgeon did something terribly wrong or you are having a completely different and separate health issue, that needs attention asap. I DO have many of your symptoms but my symptoms were not caused from MVD surgery, as i have not had the surgery yet. I do have Trigeminal Neuralgia, which causes alot of electrical pain but this pain is located in areas from my neck up. The pain and symptoms I have BELOW my shoulders and neck, as you describe here, are caused by Post Herpetic Neuralgia, PHN, caused by recurrent shingles over the past 8 years, that left alot of nerve damage. It often does feel similar to the Trigeminal Neuralgia pain, except it's in lower parts of my body, like chest, abdomen, arm, hip, leg. Prior to your surgery, did you ever have shingles? If you ever had shingles, you could have developed PHN but the severity of the TN pain masked it, till your surgery took the TN pain away. With your description that it seems to begin at the surgery site, I wonder if the MVD surgery, that fixed one problem, has possibly triggered and bringing on the current problem. I'm not a doctor. I'm just a sufferer, like you.

But, i CAN say that my Trigeminal Neuralgia OFTEN triggers my PHN, to the point that i am often treating both conditions at the same time, which is tricky because, treatment of these two similar acting conditions, are polar opposites, with hot compresses needed for TN, cold compresses on the PHN. Also, opioids take the pain away from PHN but not even touching the pain caused by TN. And vibration, on the bed, soothes the pain caused by PHN but causes extreme jolts of pain like "lightening in a bottle", for TN sufferer, exposed to same vibration. So, treating BOTH conditions is tricky but if this is what's happening to you, your first step is to get both conditions diagnosed properly. If your doctors are trying to treat this as one condition, when it's actually two conditions, irritating the other, it may be hard for your docs to see the forest, for the trees. Just a thought.

Again, i'm truly sorry friend and hope something you find here from someone helps you find the answer. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.