Weird nails for years now , please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello there .

ive always been healthy but my nails

are driving me insane . i tried anti-fungal remedies with no change so i dont think its that. they get better in summer or when im warm. the cooler it gets the worse they look! they dont break and are quite hard. i dont use nail polish or anything. i used to drink alcohol but gave up completly (over two months now) i take supplements - vit d , omega 3. healthy diet. any advice please ? image

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Those white patches look like trauma damage from over use of a nail file to clean under the nails...or whatever you have used. Maybe from even years ago. They arent serious and may grow out if you just leave your nails alone. Just clip them short. Its not fungal.

• Posted

hi and thank you for a reply. i have never used nailfile in my life. always cut my nails short. i used to be in art school and worked with acids and clay and loads of weird things but that was about 15 years ago for few years, this could be the only cause of trauma but i didnt know this could last so long.

i began to think it could be thyroid related. ive also found pictures of "terrys nails ". i will have some blood tests done next month... i hope its gonna be okay.

• Posted

another picture for reference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.