Weird neck stuff

Posted , 1 user is following.

About 6 months ago, the right side of my neck started to feel unsupported. Around the same time, my right sternocleidomastoid muscle started to show while at rest; asked family doc about it, she said no big deal.

Three months ago, I turned my head to the right side and it cracked. Sharp pain for a split second. This happened a couple of times if I remember correctly. Since then, the deep neck flexor in the back of my neck has been exceptionally weak and the superficial muscles (including the sternocleidomastoid) exceptionally tight. I have lots of knots in the side of my neck and the muscles feel stringy. Also, the omohyoid (the one that connects the side of the neck to the top of the shoulder) feels like it is straight up not there. I can't properly relax my right shoulder. It's constantly being pulled forward and up by the tight muscles at the front of the neck. I've had tingling down my right arm and feel general weakness and muscle wasting. It's not painful or debilitating; just concerning.

My family doc sent me to a neurologist, but so far neuro exams (nerve conduction and EMG) have been normal. MRI of brain from Aug ruled out stroke and MS. Blood tests (CK and ANA) are normal as well. I have a cervical spine MRI booked in the new year.

I've had several massages and two osteopath treatments and nothing has helped to release the tension. I've been seeing a physiotherapist who is working to rebuild my deep neck flexors, but still wondering WTF is going on? Can you tear a muscle and not have pain? Could there be a tumor or lump pushing on the muscles? Should I have more imaging done? Has anyone experienced something similar? And if so, how did you find relief?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.