Weird pain with kidney stones

Posted , 2 users are following.

A year and a half ago I woke up in the middle of the night with awful flank pain. I went to the ER and based on traces of blood in my urine, frequent urge to urinate and pain, they diagnosed me with a kidney stone. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I started having a dull ache in my side, same side as last time. I assumed I pulled a muscle but the pain just would not go away. A few weeks after the ache started, I noticed that whenever I urinated it did not burn/minimal urgency, but rather felt like cramping in my lower abdomen. It would subside shortly after urinating. I went to a urologist who took urine and said no UTI/no blood. Sent me for CT scan and said I do have a small stone near the bottom of my right kidney ( he had them scan my whole abdomen and pelvis to rule out anything gynecological, all was clean). My question is why did I feel cramping upon urinating when the stone has not descended? Is it possible I had passed another small stone so that's why? I swear I feel pain when the stone moves within my kidney. Could this happen?? Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think you can have the pain in several different places with a kidney stone depending on how big it is and where it actually is.

I had large kidney stones last year and eventually had them removed by keyhole surgery at the beginning of December.

If it is not too big you may pass it but I think you would know if you did that.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

There are plenty of others on here who also feel pain when the stone moves in the kidney, so you are not alone there.  A small stone does necessarily mean that it's less painful. Shape and hardness also are factors. I had a stone last Fall that was 4-5mm and became stuck in the ureter on the way to my bladder. Stones can cause referred pain in lots of weird places that feels like other types of pain. It is possible to pass small stones spontaneously, but it's unlikely you would have no indication at all. Hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.