Weird sensations around my knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am nearly 5 weeks post tkr and have hit a stone wall, I have intermittent sensation that my knee is wet , I  can actually feel liquid running on my knee,but when i look THERE IS NOTHING THERE at other times I feel a burn     ( not on the wound, but on the skin about 2 inch away) at other times I feel a pin sticking into the skin.These sensations  do not feel to be within the knee but on the surface,  any thoughts anyone as to what is going on  ?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, this is definitely nerves playing up . . they have been disturbed badly by the operation, and now they are gradually healing and finding their way!  I have had this 'wet' feeling as well during an episode of nerve problems. I don't think it is of any real importance, but I know how annoying itis. Many times I've actually looked at my leg believing that it really was wet!  At fifteen weeks I still have total numbness around the knee, and quite bad nerve pain in the thigh . .it's all part of the process!  Hopefully it will eventually go away, although there is no guarantee!
  • Posted

I had something similar and was told it was the nerve damage and feeling returning to some, consultant said it was nothing for me to worry about. I have a lot of nerve damage due to having 2 surgeries so I thought this sounded right.

I don't have those feelings much now at 10 weeks (some bits are just numb). I am also on Amitriptyline of a night which is meant to help with nerve pain and sleeping.

• Posted

Hi lotty, same thing going on with me. tkr in left knee. Asked me Dr. About and was told this was normal. All part of healing.
  • Posted

I have the same feels like Being pricked by lots of needles in my knee all close to the surface 

• Posted

Nerves are the slowest part of the incision to heal and the part that drives you batty because the location and feeling continually changes. You may have pins and needles then the feeling of either wetness or hot or cold, etc. Unless your doc gives you something (gabrapentin or lyrica are a couple) you are probably going to have to go through this as another phase of healing that's very unpleasant. Good luck
  • Posted

Pin pricks in wild and wonderful places feet knees shin no warning just happens I also have a foot that feels as though my toes are in wet sand !
  • Posted

Hi everyone....I'm ten months post tkr. I also had the feeling there was freezing cold liquid dripping onto my knee. This is the first time that I have heard anyone else say they had it too.

I still get the odd twinges, pains, stiffness, numbness and pins and needles. Still very sensative to touch. I have heard it can take 12 to 18 monthsto properly heal, but I also heard that some of these little symptoms last forever.

Good luck with your recovery everyone.

Would I do it again? Definitely. I hope to get my other knee done in about 12 months time, it's almost at the same point as the other was.

• Posted

Like every one else, I agree that it is nerve pain.  The weirdest feelings, the brain must get a bit confused at times.  I found the burning the worst.  I am now 6 weeks post op after BTKR & the burning has disappeared but I still get the occasional needle stick pain & my leg will twitch for no reason.  I just started massaging with eco oil as recommended by many of you, & have found that this helps a lot. I massage all my muscles, under the knee & on my knees.  Twice a day is good. Also helps prevent scar tissue forming under the wounld.  Rock your knee cap gently with your leg straight & relaxed to again prevent scar tissue.

Good luck.

• Posted

many thanks to sarndra and everyone else who replied to my query
  • Posted

I too had the sensation of water dripping.  Thought my ice pack was leaking.  Now I have this hypersensitivity at the inner knee.  I can touch or massage it and it's ok.  But if my clothes just lightly touch it.... woweee it's a hot very unpleasant feeling.  My PT suggested using a wash cloth, something a little rough and just rubbing the area gently several times a day. Mine is improving.  Good luck. I am in my 5th week post right TKR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.