Weird sensations on jaw in face, what is it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm a healthy 29 year old with no past illnesses or family history of diseases. About a month ago I started having odd and funny sensations on my face, along the jaw line and sometimes the cheek area. It comes and goes intermittently and randomly throughout the day with no pin-point trigger actions. I'll try my best to describe the feelings:

• A hairstrand brushing on the skin giving tickling sensation
  • Felt as if my face has passed through a spider web
  • Felt as though mini bugs are crawling on the skin
  • The jaw felt odd (mixture of muscle tightness and very minor electric current)
  • Tingling but only on the top of the nose
  • No pain or numbness
  • Mostly on the right side

I have no other issues besides these weird sensations that is giving me anxiety because it affects my overall quality of life. I have no history of anxiety disorder and I'm not going through a stressful period in my life. I've done blood tests, nerve tests, ECG, CT, Echogram and everything came back normal. Diabetes, MS, Fibro, Hypothyroidism, neuro disorders are all ruled out. No circulation or heart issues. No deficiencies of vitamin B12, vitamin D, magnesium, potassium or iron. For further investigation, MRI of the brain, cervical spine and lumbar spine is requested.

Brain MRI: Normal with no issues.

Lumbar MRI: Mild intervertebral disc prolapsed of L4/L5 but no obvious loss of high signal of the disc on T2WI.

Cervical MRI: Mild disc prolapsed of C3/C4, C4/C5, C5/C6 and C6/C7 resulting in minimal anterior theca sac indentation. Loss of cervical lordosis (flat neck) due to muscle spasms.

With all the results, my GP and neurologist haven't got a clue but stated that the closest possibility causing this issue could be coming from the cervical spine. I was given Neurobion and Lyrica for 2 weeks but it did not help.

I really don't know what to do next to treat my symptoms. Could it be some minor nerve entrapment somewhere in the neck though I don't have dizziness or vertigo? Could it be TMJ though I have no jaw pain and swallowing difficulty? Or could it be mites or scabies?

Can anyone here particularly those that have similar symptoms or have extensive knowledge about spinal and nerve health share some opinion on my issue?

Thanks so much in advance.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.