Weird shingles symptoms

Posted , 8 users are following.

I first got the shingles rash early February of this year, the rash went away mid March but I am experiencing pins and needles and mild burning sensation on the area where the rash was located left buttocks lower back and also on my legs, feet, upper back and arms. These sensations comes and goes. When I walk or do something physical it goes away, weird thing is when I sleep I don’t have any of these sensations. I did take a ten day course of Cipro in March so I don’t know if my neuropathy is shingles related or Cipro related. Any feedback would be much appreciated. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

I have shingles in my left buttock and thigh.I don't know if the pain in my left knee and ankle is from shingles or the cipro I took.

• Posted

Have you gone to a doctor yet? I still have neuropathy in my butt but it moves around to my legs and upper back and arms. It’s constant all day long but moves around. When I google Cipro neuropathy tons of horrror stories. Not sure if my neuropathy is from my shingles or using Cipro or both. How long will these sensations last. 
    • Posted

Hi Matt Sorry to hear you are suffering with this dreaded disease. I too had shingles last July and lasted for two months then started with pins and needles and frozen feeling and some times burning. I still have the same symptoms going on in the same place as the rash. 
    • Posted

Sheila 

I am having pins and needles and burning sensation that comes and goes in different parts of my body like upper back legs and sometimes arms I had the rash on my lower back and left buttock, this is what has got me worried. 

• Posted

I had shingles on my face early March, 

but when I get stressed I get the pins and needles feeling worst than normal and also spots under the skin where I had them before, it’s like they are waiting to irrupted again,  

• Posted

Hi Matt.

usually on the spot where I had them before,

but last week I had a blister come up on my arm, then it turned to blister like spots. So like I said I feel like I’m going to get another dose at anytime.

my lip this morning is burning, but I have a lot of stress going on at the moment so that’s not helping the side effects of shingles

And it is common to get pain after shingles and can go on for months sorry to say, but I was told I can have a low does of a antidepressant to help with the nerve pain 

• Posted

Hi Julie,

My husband had shingles on his forehead and ophthalmic nerve ( not on his eye though fortunately) in early Feb. 

he had a terrible experience. He has been on Lyrica and still is. He’s afraid to come off right now. 

He was on slow release tramadol but came off them by degrees over a few weeks. 

Right now he feels sore, itchy and numb and exactly like you- he has spots in the same area. We are nervous of them. No help with aftercare from his doctor. 

I would love to get a soothing cream for him to help with it. 

Best wishes to you and everyone on the forum. 

• Posted

Good morning Vonnie.

im afraid we just have to get on with it.

are you in the uk?? And on Facebook?

because you can join a shingles page and it’s brilliant too.

i put Aloe Vera sun gel on my face to sooth it but that was when all the scabs had gone, but before that I put on cold compress and had antihistamine to help with the itching. 

Its a horrendous illness and I feel your husbands pain.

my partner said he has never seen anything like it.

iv still got nerve pain and I worry In case it comes back.

fingers crossed we dont. 

Have he had his vitamin D level checked.

mine is very low and that in its self can effect the immune system

hope he gets well soon 

• Posted

Thank you so much Julie.  I will look at the Facebook page for sure. We are in Ireland btw. 

Best wishes to you too and everyone on this forum and that you will get some ease soon. 

Vonnie

• Posted

Hello Matt

You are not alone in this!  I had shingles like 4 months ago and today I had this tingle like pain on my scalp and noticed two little blisters where I had them 4 months ago!  Guessing it’s another dose of shingles again but less aggressive!!

• Posted

Hello vonnie

I have had shingles in January 2018!  It was a hard 5 weeks and took on time the viral meds!  The blisters were there for a week on my scalp!  Took cipro too and went to the ER!  After almost 4 months now I saw two little blisters and knew because of the needle pain!  Can I get other out break so soon?  My niece lives in Ireland and wanted to know if there is something else I can take?

Can shingles repeat many times?  I have seen in this forum people getting many bouts in a year!  Thanks for any help here!

• Posted

Well Matt, join the club!  I believe the pins and needles and burning sensation are pretty typical symptoms in the aftermath following the rash. I was diagnosed in early Dec 2017 and I still have some of the same sensations and also lingering fatigue. Lasting this long has put me in the category called post herpetic neuropathy or PHN. It occurs in about 10% of all who get shingles. Every case is individual I understand , and can last a long time or forever. I am an RN , but never really knew the far reaching effects of shingles. It has been a horrible experience. I used the lidocaine 5% patches by rx but way too expensive when you can buy Lidocaine 4% over the counter. I also used gel packs bought over the counter and frozen. Never took an antibiotic and don’t believe it is necessary. The antiviral med if given within 72 hours is the appropriate medicine. I hope these suggestions help and you will feel better soon. 
    • Posted

I am having the pins and needles and burning pain in different areas than my rash was, is that shingles and post herpatic neuralgia or something different. How long is this supposed to last. 
    • Posted

Hi Matt, 

I also had the burning pain, pins and needle pains in places other than the rash location. It also would move from place to place as you describe. If you google an image of your body’s nerve pathways, it may help you understand what you are feeling and why. It is a complex system of nerve pathways that will visually show you the WHY of your pain. How long does it last you ask?  For me, the worst of the pain is over after four months. However, I am left with the numb sensation on my skin in the general area of the rash. It is unclear how long this lasts or if it is permanent. Nerves endings have been severely affected by this virus and can regenerate with time...... but not always. So , it is hard to answer your question and it is definitely an individual response. I hope this information helps and all the best as you recover.

Jeannie

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. Did you try taking any supplements? I just started taking lysine, vitamin B-12, alpha lipoid acid, vitamin D, vitamin E, and zinc. Gabapentin just makes me really sleepy and ibuprofen didn’t do much at all. 
    • Posted

Hi Matt,

I have tried B12 for the energy and am about to start Vit D as well. My pain is minimal now and easily controlled with Advil. 

I am believing that “ this too shall pass”  and I believe it will for you too!

All the best,

Jeannie

• Posted

I keep reading that post herpatic neuralgia is only at the site of the rash was. That has me worried since my pain moves around. Your past post on neuro pathways makes sense and you are a RN, I am sure you spoke to tons of doctors you work with. Thanks for you posts to all my questions. Are you going to get the shingles vaccine?
    • Posted

Jeannie

I took the anti viral med within the 72 hours!  I would like to know if shingles is normal to repeat it self after 4 months of having it?  I saw today after feeling pins on my scalp two little blisters!  Can I get shingles again so soon but less aggressive?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.