Weird side effects from Sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started sertraline start of December on 50mg, and 3 days after I started suffering really bad burning scalp. It stayed for a few days, then went away, then came back.

I have now been on 100mg for 2 days, and the burning in my scalp has intensified. I can't have anything touching my scalp as it hurts too much. Even a hat or headphones.

I have also developed muscle twitches and jerks.

My main form of anxiety is health and my main worry is MS. And obviously these symptoms are worrying me.

I just want to know if anyone else has suffered from these side effects?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Okay, I've read your complaint. The cause of your symptoms may be due to cutaneous dysesthesia, more specifically scalp dysesthesia that presents itself as a burning, aching or pruritic (itching) sensation that can become quite prominent in some persons. Although no causal link to the administration of sertraline is known, some patients demonstrate a range of side-effects as a consequence of sertraline treatment, headaches being among the more common complaint. If you are experiencing persistent head pain that began with sertraline treatment then scalp sensations could arise.

It's also important to note that intense psychological stress, even physical stress, can constitute a causal factor for the presentation of scalp dysesthesia. Still, if you've never experienced the phenomenon prior to sertraline treatment then its likely to be suspect. Realize that all anxiolytics and antidepressant medications carry with them a prominent side-effect profile that, while mild in some patients, can be prominent in others to the extent that it warrants alternate treatment or in rare instances cessation of use of these classes of drugs.

Thus, it is extremely important to maintain regular feedback with the prescribing physician to report bothersome side-effects or other issues regarding treatment with the sertraline in order that adjustments and or changes can be made until such time that an effective choice is found that provides the best positive effects with the least side-effect profile.

Lastly, while there are considerable signs and symptoms associated with MS it is critical to realize that no specific symptom in of itself means much at all in that regard, but more correctly it is particular symptoms and the company they keep among other signs and symptoms present that lead to accurate diagnosis where neurological disease is of concern. Myoclonus, or involuntary muscle twitches, in patients suspected of MS demonstrate a very particular pattern along specific dermatomes that are innervated by a common nerve. Myoclonus arises from demyelination as a consequence of the impact of MS.

Your description of the twitching sensations is inconsistent with the actual presentation associated with MS. Great care must be taken when seeking to compare your symptoms to those of disease and disorders in the absence of the requisite clinical training and experience. Merely because these symptoms appear similar to you doesn't mean that such similarity actually exists. Realize that many symptoms associated with disease that appear online are often presented in very brief and common terms because the underlying complexity of such symptoms and disease process in general would be too voluminous and confusing to persons absent sufficient clinical training. The brief terms in bullet point fashion are extremely generalized and most often leads to significant misinterpretation by the general population who seek answers to medical issues from the internet. This is especially true for persons with health anxiety.

You're going to be fine. Report your symptoms to your prescribing physician and voice your opinions regarding whether the medications being prescribed are resulting in positive or negative outcomes and the need for re-evaluation for alternate treatment choices if necessary.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.