Weird sleep cycle I can’t fix, help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the past few weeks I have been unable to sleep properly. Each night I go to bed around 11PM fairly tired, nod off and then usually wake up 2-3 hours later. Once I wake up I feel wide awake and cannot sleep at all, in most cases I am up until about 8am until I can sleep again.

I am a university student and don't have to be up early, though I try to get up around at the same time every day. I have tried what feels like everything, I just cant sleep through for longer than three hours. I have tried sleeping later so I am more tired, staying awake all day rather than sleeping or napping, upping my cardio to feel more tired etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have always struggled falling to sleep but never staying asleep, now its the other way round.

Not sleeping is causing me noticeable tension headaches, is this something for the doctor or just my own fault somehow? I cant point to a specific thing in my life which could've suddenly caused this

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Try drinking a glass of hot adult formula milk 1 hour before sleep. It might help. If you could drink 2 glasses a day but space it out or you end up going to the toilet middle of the night.

Google how digital devices have blue light which disrupt sleep. Try install apps like twilight to switch your phone to block blue light and see if it helps. You could also try not to look at digital devices 1 to 2 hours before bed. It does disrupt your sleep. You might want to try getting a pair of block blue light glasses and wear it few hours before sleep. It will help.

Soak your feet in a small basin before bed in slightly hot water. It helps too.

Magnesium oil sleep spray also helps. Lack of Vitamin D can also affect sleep. You can try taking liquid vitamin D every morning but not afternoon or night as it will keep you awake.

• Posted

im having the same issues but i will sleep but waking up too early and not feeling refresh or energise feel so tired all day my head in the morning feels heavy

• Posted

"I have always struggled falling to sleep but never staying asleep, now its the other way round."

This is exactly what has been happening to me for the past 4 years, it's like I'm reading one of my posts. My whole life I had trouble getting to sleep, sometimes missing entire nights, but now I fall asleep immediately 9 nights out of 10, but never wake up refreshed because I wake up either in the middle of the night or too early in the morning.

In your case, you say it has been happening for the past few weeks. That is still not that long, there is a good chance the problem will correct itself. I would suggest you give it some more time, these things have a habit of going away on their own. If your quality of life has really gone down the drain, maybe you can talk to your doctor and ask for some (short term!) solutions to help reset your brain to normal functioning.

You don't need milk or vitamin D, that does not help anyone going through real insomnia. The blue light thing, though, is a good idea to turn off on your phone, as well as to not drink too much coffee.

• Posted

I've always dealt with classic insomnia. Sleep almost exactly 2 hours, then on and off the rest of the night.

I feel like I have tried everything.

Best wishes for success with all night sleeps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.