Weird sleep pattern

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I just wondered if anyone has any advice, I had trouble sleeping about a year ago and ever since then I think I have created a bad relationship with my bed. I go to bed and can lye there for hours trying to sleep, but if I pick my pillow and a blanket up and go downstairs and put the telly really quiet I can fall asleep within 0.1 seconds on the sofa. I then wake up about 2.30 in the morning and go back upstairs to bed and fall back to sleep straight away. So sleep isn’t really the issue, it’s more the fact that I used to love going to bed, and would really love that to be the case again! I almost have like an anxious feeling whist lying in bed that I don’t get once I go down on the sofa, any advice would be much appreicated! Thanks ☺️

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I can identify with this one, having gone through similar periods in my life. I'm glad you've been able to find a way of sleeping, even if it's rather unconventional. At least it means you haven't developed sleep anxiety per se, just anxiety about your bed.

I think you now have to very slowly wean yourself off falling asleep on the sofa. Try going cold turkey in your bed one night per week - preferably on a night when you don't have too demanding a schedule the following day. It doesn't matter if you stay awake most of the night - lack of sleep isn't harmful. Then work on very slowly building up the time you spend in bed over the coming months. You will find you'll start sleeping there eventually. Even once you succeed in getting a reasonable night's sleep in your bed there'll be relapses when the old anxiety will come back again. But just take these in your stride and have confidence in yourself. You will get back to sleeping in your bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.