Weird symptoms after starting Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Folks,

i started citalopram from 4th Aug with 5 mg dose. i'm having irregular heart beats since i started this medication. I do have other side effects as well like anxiety, dizzyness, fatigue, yawning.. but i'm worried about irregular heart beats. what i notice is in the morning my heart beats pause for split second. its not skipped beat it just delays. i called up my doc and he said its ok it'll get better but i'm scared when it happens because of QT prolongation side effects. is delayed beat called QT prolongation? should i stop taking it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Mine still does it occasionally after 12 months, usually when I sit quiet. As long as it gets going again I don't worry. I walk the dogs 4 miles most evenings. If it was gunna stop that would be the time.

• Posted

Ah ha - I get the same.  Been happening for years, since I've taken Cit.  Lasts a few seconds, and is actually quite a 'pleasant' feeling (in a strange way).  Doesn't really bother me other than occasionally I fet this little 'nice' pang.  I also discussed with my doctor and was also told the same.

Have read there are medicines that are deemed 'safe' in terms of effects on the heart rhythm, and that 1 in 5 people taking these meds has reported this effect.  The report also says you should not stop taking your meds.

I have no idea about the long term side effects of this - worth relaying your concerns again to your doctor or maybe getting a second opinion?  Let me know too wink

K xx

• Posted

Hi I was put on it last month started wth 5mg for first week with dizziness an fuzzy feeling yawning.... ect....then increased to 10mg an my heart did the same I phned pharmacist who told me it should get better by 2nd week it was still skipping beat all day which made me so much more anxious.... Docter then told me to stop it said sometimes it can have that effect.... an i can try Serdep 50mg so I reduced it back to 5mg for 4 days an stopped next day heart was back to normal....

Its up to you I could not handle my heart beating like that all day.... my daughter used it for a year wth no problems we all different.... goodluck

• Posted

Hi Imonany, as the medication can increase the anxiety symptoms in the first few weeks this would also include the heart rhythm. I have experienced anxiety problems since the age of 11 from panic attacks, GAD, health anxiety, depersonalisation, Intrusive thoughts etc....... And during this time I've had missed heart beats, skipped beats, double, triple quadruple heart beats, thudding heart, heart arrhythmia, and a low resting rate at 41 bpm ( and no I'm not lance Armstrong ). The point I'm trying to make us that my heart is absolutely fine, I've had just about every test going. When your anxiety increases you become so much more aware of your bodily sensations. Now you have noticed your heart beats is imagine you will keep noticing it until your anxiety reduces. Obviously with an organ like the heart it is sensible to get checked over but if you're told your heart is fine then try to move forward and let your heart beat whatever way it wishes. It is only an interference in the rhythm of the heart and just about everyone has these missed and skipped beats etc..... But non anxiety sufferers pay little or no attention to them.

• Posted

I would ask the Dr. to change.

This medication is no good in my opinion and you seem to be suffering enough unpleasant symptoms to give something else a try.

• Posted

Thanks folks for great information. My doc did advise me to take quarter of the pill for 3 days and back to half. So from 2 days have been taking 2.5mg only. and symptoms have gone little milder but still there. In fact today i was feeling a new symptom where as if something is trying to stop my heart beating and my body is struggling to keep it going. that was really scary feeling. it lasted for few seconds and it happened twice. I'm not sure if this is related to my anxiety or not. has anyone had that kind of feeling? i'm going to give couple more days to this medicine and if things dont improve then i'll ask my doc to give me another medication.

• Posted

Hi Imanony, Yep they are side effects I started back on Cita the same day only taking 10mg and cant stop yawning feeling weird like iritable and sleep is sh&^%t but no anxiety well severe anxiety anyways. Heartbeats is kinda a side show to anxiety well that was I believe it is??? Hang in there, in a few weeks we will start feeling better and the side effects wont be as harsh wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.