Weird symptoms of Costo

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I am a 20 year old healthy female and was diagnosed with Costochrondritis after my third time to the ER in two weeks. I would feel like I was having a heart attack and my chest hurt SO bad. I am active, no history of poor heart health in my family. But lately i have been tracking my symptoms to maybe pinpoint what makes it flare. I noticed shortly after i eat and experience acid reflux my chest pain is severe. Which is sort of expected. Well, now for my weird sort of embarassing question... does anybody else have a costo flare up when they are constipated/need to pass a bowel? I suffer when i am constipated or need to pass a bowel. Can anyone confirm this too or am I just going crazy?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

yes sometimes the pain is worse when I'm constipated but I seem to be getting this pain all the time and its making me so depressed

I'm now on anti anxiety medication which is also a antidepressant and am waiting to see a pain doctor

dont know how much longer I can cope with it

hope your pain is sorted soon

• Posted

I have been suffering with Costochrondritis for the past 2 and half years. I too was put on anxiety and an antidepressant which I was was told by my Doctor would help keep me relaxed and promote healing. I was told to rest and stay away from an activities that would cause pain in that area. I find that after simply walking around for a while that I would have trouble breathing and pain. I saw a Cardiologist who did many tests and all of them came back normal so he is stumped and does not know what else to do. Basically leaving me with no answers the only reassurance I got was my heart and valves and vessels were good and strong and clear. But as for my pain he flat out said I am sorry I can help you any further. He is writing my Doctor and asking him to refer me to other Doctors that could do more testing or refer me to a pain management clinic.

So I am really annoyed that after all that time no answers are found.. As for Constipation with this condition I have never had a problem. I see my GP on Monday this week and I hope and pray that he will do something for me as I am Youth Counselor who had to quit both my jobs due to this condition and being off for so long that i want to get back to normal living. What has the ER Doctors done to help you?

• Posted

I've had a mammogram and heart test and again all fine

I'm now waiting to see a pain doctor to see if they can help me as I'm at the end of my tether with this pain

my mum thinks that it's in my head but it flippin isnt I walk around with a hot water bottle constantly indoors

hope you get sorted soon?

• Posted

does anyone else suffer with anxiety with the costochondritis? if yes how do you manage it?

• Posted

when it gets bad I do , the Drs just do not understand , I am having a flare up at the moment with pains in my back and right side , Drs on Friday for another blood test , I take Naproxen 250mg when its gets bad as and when needed but try to do without if I can .

• Posted

thanks Janet I'm on sertraline doesn't help the pain but helps me to calm down

its making me so depressed

good luck friday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.