Weird tegretol side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with TN two years ago and was prescribed an aggressive regimen on tegretol.(1200mg a day) it went away after a few weeks. Just recently the pain came back and once again I was prescribed tegretol. It is ok at treating the pain but the reason I am posting is a startling side effect. I noticed my phone ringtone, my time clock at work and music and sounds in general sound lower in pitch, is it just me?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dave,

That is a quite strong prescription, but far as I know you have to stay on it. Never heard of hearing issues. Usually hear about vision.

eddie13

• Posted

Hello Dave,

my advice is to go to your doctor at once and tell them. This does not sound like a side effect of Tegretol to me. It may be something quite unrelated. Did your doctor suggest a reason for your Tn eg damage from a vehicle accident, benign tumour or some other thing?

• Posted

No the TN came out of the blue. Did the MRI and everything. I was just asking because I noticed the sound thing only when I was taking tegretol.
  • Posted

I took Tegretol for a few months and know all sorts of things can happen.  I had double vision, had to turn the wording up on my Kindle to the largest setting, and walked funny. Most likely the trouble in your ear is just another result of it.  How lucky to have the TN go away for two years!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.