Weird thoughts and dreams, whats wrong with me?

Posted , 3 users are following.

The past few weeks I have convinced myself that everyone around me is a figment of my imagination and that I'm the only one alive, because I'm the only one that I know for sure is real because I can feel that I'm alive. I'm at the point where I get dreams and reality mixed up, and I feel so secluded because I have no idea what to believe anymore. I never used to be like this and I don't understand why I suddenly have these thoughts that no one is real, what is wrong with me?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If there is only you at least you do not have a split personality.

There was once a very brief science fiction work:

The last man in the world was sitting in his room when there was a knock on the door.

• Posted

I've had that before. It is unpleasant and doesn't feel like anxiety in itself. The world seems unreal and it feels like you're the only thing that can definitely exist. It is scary, and common with anxiety too. I found this useful reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

It will go away and you'll forget about it at some point, and one day you'll realise it's no longer there. How long have you had it for and is it having a disruptive impact on your daily life and work?

• Posted

Sorry - forgot to say - the first time this started for me, I remember distinctly. It was 18 October 2010 (it made such an impression I will always recall the date!)

I was getting off a train on my way to work (had stayed over at my then-boyfriend's flat about an hour's train journey away the night before) and walking down the station steps suddenly I felt terribly weird and like something was extremely wrong but I didn't know what.

I spent the day at work feeling uncomfortable. I went to sleep when home but that didn't help. It was still there the next day and the next. Is this something similar to your experience, in terms of feelings?

• Posted

Could be a lot of different things but I'd consider looking into researching personality disorders - particuarly dissociative personality disorder.

DO NOT, however, self-diagnose and approach a psychatrist by telling him/her what you think you may have. Book an appointment with your GP and explain to him what you feel and tell him about things you have considered, and ask for advice on whether or not there are services available to you that relate to either DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) or CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).

In the case of CBT, how that works is by placing you and your thoughts in the here and now. So for instance, if you feel 'detached', as though when you looked at things, you saw them but didn't 'feel' them, or events had a hazy dreamlike quality to them as though you were looking at the world through a thin grey veil, CBT might work by placing your feet firmly back in the real world and allowing you to see things for how they really are.

• Posted

Hi Alex,

I got my first bout of that when I was 12 years old. I've had it on and off all my life. I'm now 54 and still get it. The ancient Shamans believed it was a gift, a blessing, but in the modern world it can be very distrubing until you get used to it. A lot of Eastern spritiual teachings also describe it in positive terms. Sometimes I detach from myself (not by choice) and watch myself go about, and that really freaks me out. I find the Quetiapine and Propranalol I take these days helps a lot, since the other option of going off into the Jungle to become a Shaman, or into a temple in Cambodia  to become a monk, isn't an option, LOL. Go see your GP and she / he will refer you to a psychiatrist for medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.