Weird throat sensation

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone had the feeling that they can't clear their throat properly?It feels like I have phlegm or something just sitting in the back of my throat. I've had this for a few weeks now, not sure if it's an allergy thing. I had an endoscopy a couple of months ago that showed mild gastritis other than that all normal.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

I have the same problem, it's like I have a congestion in my upper respiratory, I also get a sensationof difficulty swallowing, I've seen 3doctors and I'm told it's a menopause symptoms, I get dry mouth too but my doctor says upon examination my mouth and throat is moist. Its been going on for 3 weeks now.

• Edited

Yes, especially in the am the first few hours I'm up. its aweful. at times I feel like I'm either going to throw up or be unable to breath. ots strange. And I too have sore throat, ear pain etc. I'm assuming it's from menopause. I'm 52 and my symptoms all started last April. Glad to have found this forum!

• Edited

yesss. driving me nuts. my throat is red from trying to clear it so much

• Edited

I have just started this a few weeks ago! I was thinking it was allergies but now who knows? Thank you for starting this post!

• Edited

I have this too! My doctor said it looked to her like seasonal allergies. I don't know if I believe that, but I've been on allergy medicine for about 2 weeks and I only have the problem in the mornings now.

• Edited

Yes! It feels like pressure on the front of my neck, like I have a lump in my throat and dry throat. It comes and goes - have had it for 4 weeks now. I think it is related to stress and anxiety...

• Edited

Yes, I have the same issue. It happens in the evening and sometimes in the morning. I feel like I cannot clear my throat, like there is something stuck in my throat. I have been in peri now for about 5 years. I was also diagnosed with GERD/Gastritis many years ago, so sometimes that will flare now and I think it adds to the throat issue. I'm 49. I have been on BHRT for about a year and while that has helped immensely with a lot of other symptoms, it doesn't take care of everything. My doctor said that in peri/menopause any pre-existing/chronic condition will most definitely be worse because of the fluctuations in hormones. It's so frustrating!

• Posted

thanks everyone, I had a feeling it was due to menopause but thought I'd ask. It is hist another frustrating symptom. Have a great day ladies x

• Posted

I've had this off and on since I started perimenopause (~2 years ago, I am 45). I went to an ENT and was diagnosed with LPR (Silent Reflux). When it happens, I take an omeprazole (Nexium) in the morning as soon as I get up (~1 hour prior to eating) and a famotidine (Pepcid) right before bed. This combination does not work as well as Nexium in the AM and Zantac in the PM, but until the Zantac recall is resolved, I'm out of luck. I'm currently experiencing a pretty bad bout of it and it's so annoying.

• Posted

it still surprises me how young some of you ladies start peri/menopause. So many doctors told me I was too young yet i have had symptoms for years and I'm 47 now. I would just like to feel normal again

• Posted

I always feel that way like mucus is stuck in my throat . i am always clearing it. This menopause is driving me crazy and I cant take it any more. I have at lease 80 percent of the symptoms out of the 66 .

• Posted

I agree it is so annoying, why do hormones cause so much havoc on our bodies???

• Posted

im experiencing it now , feels like i am constantly trying to swallow and take deep breaths as making my chest feel tight so im coughing , which then is making me think its corona virus ! i feel like i have mucus all on my chest and in my throat ! im 46 and had alot of peri symtoms although doctors ive seen poo poo this !! im very anxious person anyway and think this isnt helping !im due on in 3 days so thinking is this part of it too , i just dont know what to think anymore ! x

• Posted

Melissa last week i had a terrible night, heavy breathing, hard to swallow , tight chest, i too thought it was corona. I got up in the night and started pacing frantic, then the anxiety came on. I had to talk my way out of it reassuring myself that i didn't have corona. I then fell on my knees and started to pray. P eri and meno can play such mind games especially in this time with corona because the symptoms are similar. symptoms are hardest for me 10 days before my cycle and a week after i am done. So i say that your symptoms are acting up worse because you are close to your date. Stay strong praying for all you and all the ladies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.