Went for a Rhematology appt. and found out my liver enzymes were high? What do you think?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I am new to this site. But I wanted to reach out to you all for some advice. Over the past year I have been struggling with a number of health problems and it seems like nobody can figure it out. Technically it all started about 3 years ago with my stomach. I started having severe diarrhea, mucus in the feces, abdominal cramping and swelling, and it was happening almost every day. I had my gallbladder checked and it was fine so then I went to a gastroenterologist because I have a pretty strong family history of Crohn's disease. I had my scopes done and the Gastro Doctor said I did have some ulcers but all the biopsies came back negative for Crohn's. Well fast forward to now and I am still having the same issues with my stomach. I was also diagnosed with Cystitis of the bladder around a year ago after having to urinate 30-50 times a day. And now I've had new symptoms which started coming on 6 months to a year ago. Extreme fatigue, hair loss, muscle and joint pain, rashes on hands, confusion, and weakness. My GP sent me off for some antibody testing thinking that I may have lupus and surely enough my ANA test came back positive. I saw my Rhematologist on May 12 (which was a terrible experience) and had a bunch of test done. Well they called me yesterday and said that everything they have gotten back so far looked okay but I do need to follow up with my Gastro Doctor because my liver enzymes were mildly elevated. My AST was 40 and my ALT was 70. I checked my blood work from back in January and those number were AST 13 and ALT 15, and I also checked some blood work from 2015 and the numbers were low then as well. Is this something I should be concerned about? I was reading the notes from my appointment and my doctor had that the (d/dx could include Autoimmune Hepatitis) so that really concerned me. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Also I am 23, never drank alcohol, never smoked, and not overweight at all.

Thank you!! smile

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am sort of in the same boat Ashley. My LFTs have come back elevated the last few times I've had blood drawn. My GI Doctor stated he wasn't worried about my liver, but, I did have my gallbladder out in March. I just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and Doctor said all looked good. I have been sick since Januuary, hospital 3 times, they dxed me with Gerd and gallstones. Have been to numerous doctors, had numerous tests and scans, and nothing yet. Seeing rheumatologist next month, since I also had a positive ANA. Why was your experience bad at the rheumatologist? I have suffered daily nausea, loss of appetite, and weight loss. I have looked into why my LFTs would be elevated, and have come up with the same as you, hepatitis. Seeing GI on Tuesday, so lots of questions. Keep me up to date on your findings. Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply! Wow! Our situation sounds a lot alike. I have been so, so sick. Couldn't even get out of the bed today. sad So I understand how hard it is. My rheumatologist experience was terrible because of the Doctor. He wouldn't even let me talk. He made me answer all questiond with a yes or a no, I couldn't elaborate any. I took the time to nicely write down all of my symptoms and when they started on a piece of paper and he wouldn't even take the time to read it. So I definitely did not have a good appointment. And know for a fact my needs were not addressed. I am nervous about the follow up with my GI. Will be calling Monday to make an appointment. I am mostly scared because the last three blood work panels I had my AST and ALT were perfect. They were actually low! And was never elevated before that. So for them to normally be 13 and 15 and jump to 40 and 70 makes me nervous. And my symptoms get worse everyday. The fatigue is becoming debilitating. sad I wish you the best of luck too!
    • Posted

What are your symptoms Ashley? Do you have what I've listed? I also have left sided pain under breast/rib area. Went to GP yesterday, she states she thinks it is costochondritis. Taking steroid dose pack, but I don't think it's that. I don't think any of our doctors listen anymore, it's not right, and I cry a lot after some of my appointments. Some days I feel as if I'm dying, mainly couch bound. I feel for you and am sending you hugs. Xx
    • Posted

My symptoms started with GI issues. Diarrhea, bloating, abdominal cramps after eating. That's started a few years back. And unfortunately are still going on. Then the next thing was urinary problems, urinating 30-50 times a day, back to back. And then the past 6 months to a year I've had those two same issues and now extreme fatigue, weakness, muscle pain, hair loss, rashes on my hands some days, feet swelling, memory loss and confusion on bad days, I do have a feeling of pressure on my right side near the ribs. That has started recently. Some days are better than others. Usually after the days I work I need a good 1-2 days to recover because it is that hard on my body! sad
    • Posted

Yes, I have a lot of these too! Really wish I could get a diagnosis. Fingers crossed for us! 
  • Posted

Did they test you for H-pylori?
    • Posted

They tested me before in 2014 when I first had my scopes done and everything was negative.
    • Posted

So your blood test for HPylori was negative? Hmmm, I will do some research, since I have time an let you know what I find.
    • Posted

Yes! It was negative! And thank you so, so much! It's scary knowing there is something wrong but not knowing what.
  • Posted

Do not take tylenol. I had the same symptoms and my abdomen with swelling with toxin fluid my dr. Has me on xifaxan 500mg twice a week. I had the same issue not a drinker do Tylenol causes a rare type of cirrhosis in the liver difficult to detect and other medications that fight the cirrhosis. It was caused from Tylenol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.