went for warfarin test 2nd week on it

Posted , 5 users are following.

had full fasting blood county done last week - inr level came back at 1.2 went this week they wanted another full fasting blood count but had already had a banana a several cups of tea - they still did blood test as they said last weeks came back with abnormal results - they didn't tell me what - ayone any ideas

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Could be high cholesterol - but honestly, until they tell you, you can only guess.  My father found he had carried a sort of parasitic bug in his blood for over forty years (no ill effects) which they say must have been contracted during his war years in North Africa.  Probably nothing so exotic in your case, just wait and see what they have to say and don't worry!
  • Posted

Fasting test is used to check your cholesterol levels. Banana and tea will give false reading (if that is what they are testing) INR 1.2 is below anticoagulation range. My therapeutic range is 2 - 3. You are in danger of developing clots.
  • Posted

As has been said INR level is normally between 2.0-3.5

So your inyial reading is low

After the test I receive a letter/form with the readings for the last 3 tests and the dose I should take from Mon-Sun and the date of my next  blood test

I have always found the anticoag. people give me the information and advice I need.

Your diet can affect your levels so discuss this with the anticoag. as well

You may be "unique" in a certain way of course

• Posted

thanks for that bill - i have been on the slimming world diet for the last 18 months and for the last few weeks don't seem to be losing weight so diet is probably playing its part - can't get a doctors appointment for at least another two weeks
  • Posted

My Warfarin levels were completely different  almost week to week for me.  Never once did they rise above the 2 mark, even on a high dose (which made my hair fall out and nails chalky) so after taking it for about three months, I am now on Pradaxa for the past six months (dabigatran) which, although it has its risks which I am well aware of, frees me from those blood tests altogether and the worry about the clinic forever ringing me about the low level, upping the dose and wanting me in practically every week .  I have had no side reactions to Pradaxa so far.

On the other hand my husband has been on Warfarin for many years now and his level only alters when he can trace it to something he has eaten or done which is out of the usual format.  Dieting is amongst those factors.  He visits the clinic about once a month.  If Warfarin isn't stabilising or persistently doesn't stabilise for an individual, then there are alternatives. 

• Posted

sorry josephine got your name wrong apologies
  • Posted

Started off on 10mg, then lessened to around 6, then 8, then 10 and 8 again over three months.  My INR level was around 1.5 persistently and only once reached 2.5 before falling again.  I think this level of Warfarin (rat poison) really was poisoning me, as in hair and nails, and the very frequent blood tests became an ordeal.  Eventually I complained and was denied dabigatran because it is so expensive, but I persevered, writing to the Dept of Health who confirmed I qualified and it was my right.  I was passed from doctor to hospital and back again several times, all refusing the drug, but eventually I wore them down.  I have never regretted it. I am now officially classed as Warfarin intolerant.  There is no monitoring at all on this drug and you can just forget about it altogether.

Just see what they have to say about the abnormality, no use guessing really.  Then see whether you can stabilise to an acceptable level of blood testing and Warfarin without side effects. Most people do, but there are some of us who didn't! 

• Posted

thanks for that - i will see what the levels are this week - i read somewhere that dabigatran is about £2.50 per day where warfarin is around 5p
  • Posted

Yes, those costs are correct and contributes to the reluctance to prescribe dabigatran, and of course that a patient on this is going to be harder to treat in an emergency  bleed.  I am prepared to take on these risks for a twice a day pill which requires no blood testing or restrictions of any kind - especially as I will have to take them for life now.
    • Posted

hi josephine by no restrictions - do you mean you can have an alcoholic drink when you want one - the other thing i don't know yet - do they take a full phiall of blood every week when you go to get the inr checked - i thought they could do just a pin prick to the finer to get some blood. my arm is already sore from just 2 visits
  • Posted

Yes, they usually do take a test tube full or almost, (its only diabetics get away with a pinprick!) and I always had to undergo at least two or three tries to get it to flow.  I was covered in bruises sometimes on the backs of my hands if the arms failed.  This became almost weekly for me until I said I was not taking it any more and that if I had a stroke or heart attack, it would be their fault for not letting me have the alternative.  I think that did the trick!  However, that is for information, not for reckless advice....

I have one alcoholic drink per day (wine or brandy dry) and sometimes more if there is company.  We have a 'happy hour' sitting down about 5 pm and we both value this.  I still have AFib which is from time to time at present and my pacemaker has recently been turned up to cope with 115 bpm, but I don't notice any link between drinking or not drinking.  That is not to say it is the same for everyone and you have to find out for yourself what triggers you have.  On reading these forums, you can see there are wide variations as to what brings on your individual trouble.  Just hang on until you get the information you need.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.