Went weird in hairdressers!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,wondering if anyone can relate? Been working outside today in the cold rain anyway went to the hairdressers straight from work were it was nice and warm, as I was sat having my hair cut started to feel really lathargic (which comes as no surprise from the cold and in to the warm) then completely out of blue felt like a pain in my chest and felt as If I had a blood rush to my head and wanted to faint it was as if everything stoped for a split second and I had to will my self to feel ok. Then felt a wave of panic come over me which is funny because I haven't had a panic attack for 2 and a half years, felt an overwhelming need to just get up and leave hairdressers but managed to privertly tell my self I was going to be ok and managed to stay till hairdresser had finished. Cudnt pay my money and get out of shop quick enough now I've felt anxious all nite. As any 1 had any thing similar happen to them with the fainting feeling???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It could be just to do with a change in temperature or a sudden panic attack but I don't want to alarm you but there is one thing that people ought to know about when it comes to going to the hairdresser.  If you have your hair washed and have it done as is usual these days by lying back with your head hanging over the basin, there's a thing called Beauty Parlour Syndrome which can lead to having a stroke.  It's to do with the neck being stretched for too long and causing damage to arteries in the neck.  Maybe if you had your hair washed you had pressed on something which made you feel like you did.  Of course, it may be nothing to do with it but I think more women should be aware of this problem.  Every time I have my hair washed I press down on the arms of the chair so that it takes some of the weight off my neck, whether this works or not I don't know but I hope it prevents a stroke.  
  • Posted

Hi Luke, I just want to establish if you experienced a pain in your neck at the time or just after you had your hair washed, that is if you had it washed at all.

I only mention this is because  in 1997 a new condition (yet unproven) was mentioned in the Lancet, and it has been referred to as Beauty parlour Syndrome.

The theory is that pressure on the back of the neck from swan neck washbasins are suspected of causing TIA's (minor strokes).

This is not necessarily what happened in your case, but it is worth bearing in mind.

The problem could quite easily have been caused by the rapid change in temperature from a cold environment to a warm one.  

• Posted

Hi there thanks for replays I didn't have my hair washed was sat upright at the time having my hair cut!!
    • Posted

Probably down to the acute change in temperature then.

If the problem rears it's ugly head again I suggest you get yourself down to your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.