Were you ever prescribed Cipro or fluoroquinolones ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

From a recent long term survey in pub med

Our objective was to evaluate the association between fluoroquinolone use and aortic dissection or aortic aneurysm in a systematic review and meta-analysis.

Evidence from a small number of studies suggests that exposure to fluoroquinolones is consistently associated with a small but significantly increased risk of aortic dissection and aortic aneurysm.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

never heard of them what are they prescribed for?
    • Posted

They are an antibiotic prescribed for wide range of infections. Manufacturer has issued instructions that it's use be restricted to serious infections but the message has evidently not registered with much of healthcare.

Search for the thread Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome

• Posted

Also known as Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin, Nalidixic acid, Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin, Quinolone Antibiotics
  • Posted

Wow, I think I’ve been prescribed Cipro multiple times to prevent post-op infection. I’ve put in an inquiry with my surgeon and will report back on what my records reveal. 
    • Posted

Each time I was prescribed them I had tendonitis and it (along with Statins and Amiodarone) have probably caused my undiagnosed type of neuropathy and lower back problem. 
  • Posted

thanks Derek - interesting. I had to have some strong anti biotics recently for cellulitus....bit late now but will check in future
    • Posted

As I said Search for the thread Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome that the moderator put up as it has links to different papers and reports. For some reason I can't get it to open at the moment.

• Posted

I was recently diagnosed with a descending aortic 4.cm when having a CT scan for lung nodules. I have high blood pressure and take lisinpril 10-12 1/2 I also have neuropy. I have used Cipro numerous times in my like for everything from a toothache to a UTI to bronchitis.
    • Posted

Of the BP meds Losartan is said to be the most effective for keeping the aneurysm in check. Since I stopped taking it for BP my aneurysm has gone from 3.6 cm to 4.4cm or is it a coincidence?
    • Posted

I have never heard this about Losartan. Do you know the preferred dosage or have any links about this.
    • Posted

If you google a question on it you should find a link to a paper on it. When I mentioned it to the consultant at the hypertension centre he was dubious and said that any drug that lowered your BP should do that.

I had some questions for the vascular surgeon and wrote to him but he ignored that particular one.  

• Posted

I did a quick google and several links came up.

Try this one Is losartan the true panacea for aneurysm disease

• Posted

Thank you Derek. When was yours diagnosed and how have you coped with it?
    • Posted

My AAA  was found in 2004 when I had  an ultrasound scan to check for gall stones. Now as I'm in the UK AAA is abdominal aortic aneurysm not ascending aortic aneurysm as in America as has caused confusion with posters  on this Forum.

It was 3.1 cm at that time and has slowly grown to 4.3 cm this year. Unconnected  with that I had my aortic valve replaced in 2012. 

“Ascending aortic aneurysms are the second most common aortic aneurysm to abdominal aortic

aneurysms” The moderator has recently been asked to create a separate section for each. Which are you ?? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.