Western Blot - IgG test results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone tested negative using a Western Blot after being positive with the IgG?

I had the IgG last September.

HSV 1 >62.20

HSV 2 was 3.59

I have been totally monogamous for the last 8 years. I have never had symptoms.

I decided to be tested when I had my physical exam because my husband cheated on me 3 years prior.

After my results came back positive,

he was tested using the IgG also.

His results were positive for HSV 1, but negative for HVS 2

HSV 1 was 39.20

HSV 2 was <0.91

I've read that up to 3.5 there is a percentage of false positives. If I am indeed positive, he hasn't contacted it in over 8 years. Just wondering if I should spend the money for the Western Blot. I am no longer with my husband. Thanks for your views

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That is very likely a false positive. Your husband is negative, you've never had symptoms, and your HSV1 is very high, so I wouldn't be surprised that it's impacting the HSV2 test.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I wondered about my high HSV1 but with everything I've read I've not seen any information suggesting that can happen. There is so much and I don't know what to believe. I haven't dated anyone since my husband and I separated about 9 months ago. At this time Im just enjoying being alone to get to know myself.

If in the future I do decide to date someone, should I have another IGg test? Do you think the numbers would still be close? What about disclosure? What if my husband's was a false negative?

I wish I'd never taken the test!!

• Posted

HSV2 is rarely missed with the IgG test, unless tested too soon. The biggest issue are low false positives that can sometimes occur in the case of pre-existing HSV1 when using the HerpeSelect test kit. HSV1 can be missed with the HerpeSelect test kit, however, although both you and your husband were detected. I do strongly suspect that your very high HSV1 tipped the HSV2 test, and I can certainly understand your frustration! If you want the most definitive answer possible, you will have to do the UoW western blot. In most (though not all) suspect cases, it is able to come back with a conclusive result that is always considered more reliable than IgG.
    • Posted

Thank you again!

I'm still trying to figure how the site works. I can see that you are very knowledgeable and popular here :-)

• Posted

Hey feliz since you seem so knowlegeable about tests.i would like to contact u about mine..sorry for butting in lil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.