Wet Ones & Posterior Blepharitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

Just a quick question - I'm hearing a lot of positivity regarding the Wet Ones wipes; however, I'm not too sure if these can be used for people with posterior blepharitis?

Also, if they can be used for this (although I understand some people can be allergic to them), is it the case that I should run the wipes along the lid margins or only the outside of the eye? I currently use Blephaclean wipes, running them along the lid margin and would like to know if I should use the same technique. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Adrian

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm new at this also.   I began using half a wipe and getting the whole

eyelid....well that didn't work very  well,  The eyelid dried out really bad

and basically peeled.   Not sure what you mean by "posterior"  I take

a Q-tip, understand they are called ear buds in UK and wrap a Wet

Wipe in it and run along the rim of the upper lid.  I didn't realize some

people do the bottom lid also but I don't have any problem with lower

lid.  You really need to go on Benzathonium Chloride site and read some

of the blog by the people who had experimented with this for years.

Some really good tips for us beginners.

• Posted

Hi Faye , remember that your eyelids come together everytime we blink so cross contamination can happen if only cleaning the upper lids .
  • Posted

The wet ones are to kill the bacteria .  with posterior bleph ( behind the eyelash line rather in front ) dryness through non secretation from the glands is the problem so personally I find the Blephasol liquid on a cotton wool bud ( soaked ) "daubed" rather than wiped across does a better job in potentially dissolving the blockage . Don't get it in your eyes though . It doesn't  contain Benz so won't kill any infections but will keep the blockages from happening as badly . I then put in an eye drop or use a eyebath with optrex , and follow with 5 - 10 mins using the microwavable eye bag . 5 - 10 eye lid wipes/ massages per gland line to follow .

Lacrilube at night being a must do !

• Posted

Hi david24522, thanks for this.

So Wet Ones aren't really a solution to posterior bleph then, since it's only anterior bleph that is caused by bacteria?

I also use Blephasol liquid on a cotton wool bud but use a wiping motion, although I have to say I've not really had any long term success, it just tends to help for a while and then I end up with the usual symptoms. I'm starting to develop quite a few small lumps (which I presume are due to the glands blocking) and some of these will go with the usual treatment (heat bag and cleansing) but some are very persistent, especially on the upper lid margin!

Am I right in saying that the eye bag should be used AFTER cleansing then? I have been using it before in order to release the oil from the glands and then cleansing.

I've not heard of Lacrilube but will surely look it up!

Thanks again.

• Posted

The lacrilube has long been prescribed as the bench mark for dry eyes in general . just talking to another sufferer and shes using Artelec at night and a product called lagad lacrima presumably during other times . I'll look them up later . i have a review on the 14th of this month . i get little white looking pin head sized lumps on my lower lids . haven't a clue what they are about .

I was using the heated mask after cleansing hoping to push through new oils to help clear any cleansing residue . today , drops have been useless , only giving 10 mins max relief followed by thinking that i must have been using industrial cleanser and not eyedrops !

The lacrilube is nearer being a grease than a gel but lasts for hours and you can use drops if you get up early to prolong it's help. vision is blurred for a while as it gradually melts , then ok . The blephasol liquid dissolves it to clean up .

Do you take any antihistimines ? Evidently they can contribute to eye dryness , along with other prescribed medications used over a long period of time .

About to try the optrex eye bath before the larilube tonight .

Eye bath , eye bag then lacrilube ( about £4.50 ) . Worth trying something different tonight !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.