Wet vs. dry compress?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I have suffered from posterior blepharitis/MGD for several years but was just recently diagnosed and am taking active treatment steps for the first time. My ophthalmologist recommended building a hot compress into my daily routine, along with lid scrubs, which is great advice according to what I've read. He recommended a hot, wet washcloth, which I will do daily until my followup appointment next month because I'm trying to be aggressive in getting my eyes healthy. But after that, I'm wondering if a dry heating pad can be as effective? My wife has one that is microwaveable and filled with cherry pits, and holds heat very well. It does create some humidity underneath against the skin, but obviously nothing like a wet washcloth would. I asked my doctor about the heating pad, and he says stick with the washcloth, but I've seen dry products marketed for blepharitis patients (eyebag?) I feel like if I'm really going to commit to a longterm routine of doing a compress every morning, a microwaveable pad is a lot simpler and more pleasant way to go. From your experience, will this be as effective or do my eyelids need the direct hot water contact a cloth would provide? Thanks!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi  Many people find using the microwaveable eye bag brilliant it works and is much more convenient.  I purchased an mgd rice eyebag but found it to be too drying on the eyes and too heavy as well, but I also suffer from rosacea all be it very mildly as I have got older so maybe my eyes are just too sensitive so I have gone back to the flannal.  What I found really helps is to be really thorough with the cleaning of the eyelid margins.  That said most people get on well with the bag so I would try it.  Shop around on line they vary in price.  No one method works for all.  Have a look at other posts for more tips.  Hope it goes well for you.
  • Posted

I am a newbie, my doctor diagnosed it immediately yesterday  and I started the heat/massage/wash this morning. My main problem is that I cannot see for the tears that accumulate in my eyes and my  eye lids itch badly. Working at anything  is almost impossible so I am very keen to hit this hard and this blog is most helpful Thank you everybody!

The washcloth, flannel or facecloth (what's in a  name!) seems perhaps unhygenic  so I will get a special heatpad and instead of washing I shall try the Wet Ones.

Specials thanks to Linda79 for the advise and for the encouragement to know one can get over it.  I shall investigate to and will post any progress here.

Beat of luck to everybody.

• Posted

From my 1 year experience  a wet compress is more effective. I put plastic on the top  then a little bag w sesame seeds  warmed in micro. oven. This gives me 15 min of a very warm compress. But I think we all have to work in 3 directions. Our Meibiomian glands malfunction. Plus INFECTION! So we have to replace moisture  by art. tears, oil by ointment and infection by erythro- or other anti infection ointment. I am running to work on my eyes. Our strength is in UNITY!!! 😟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.