What a difference a painkiller makes!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Finally convinced the doctor to give me something better than paracetamol .tramadol . . and stronger sleeping tablets. Actually slept for four hours without waking last night, and the difference this morning was amazing.  New energy, a much more decided approach to walking and exercise . . WHY couldn't they have let me have these painkillers straight after the operation instead of now, four weeks later!  I'm afraid I do feel quite bitter about  the unnecessary suffering they have inflicted on me!  No doubt I shall have 'down' days again, because this operation seems to do that to all of us, but I can definitely see light at the end of the tunnel!

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi that's good news, I was only on 4 paracetomal per day and it was soal destroying. Onwards and upwards now
    • Posted

Paracetamol just doesn't touch this sort of pain does it!

• Posted

I had MUA and the pain was so much worse after than it was before. I can bend it further but not sure I would trade the pain it has caused to better flexion. I feel like I will be on pain meds forever.
    • Posted

That decides me then . . not going to let him do it whatever he says!  I am a complete idiot!  I've been walking what I thought was a kilometre a day, and today it suddenly occurred to me I had miscalculated and it is actually 2.2 kms!  Feeling pleased with myself now!!!
  • Posted

that's terrible treatment - you are right to be angry with such poor pain control. I had three types of pain relief after my double PKR two weeks ago and all the staff have been encouraging me to keep taking as long as I need to. Pain inhibits your movement which sets back your recovery, as well as making you miserable. In hospital  I had paracetamol and ibuprofen (both at maximum safe dose) and also dihydrocodeine 30mg four times a day. After leaving hospital my GP changed the Ibuprofen to Naproxen, which is similar but less risky for stomach ulcer etc. Good luck in your recoery now you can relax. 
    • Posted

Double PKR  wow, that must be a real killer!  Hope your recovery goes smoothly with no problems.  biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.