What about the other foot?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I'm 6 weeks into what I think will be a process of minimum 16 weeks before I consider work.

The foot I've had surgery on looks like a foot. A bit battle scared but straight.

My other foot each time I look at it looks more deformed, twisted and ugly as days go by. It hurts too.

How long will it take for me to forget the pain, discomfort and boredom so I go through it all again?

Dare I ask my husband, my children and my employer to let me do this again!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

That’s why I had both done at the same time. It takes a good year to feel really good and as bad as it was I wasn’t going to go through it twice
    • Posted

Hi Sue

It's been bad enough getting about with one foot out of action.I cannot imagine not being able to get about with both feet out of action. Did you use a wheel chair? How did you manage stairs?

• Posted

It was bad, we don’t have a bathroom on our first floor so I pretty much stayed in bed and used a wheelchair to go to the bathroom, my husband made and served me all my meals in bed for the first few weeks, I then used crutches and put a little weight on my heels. My one advantage was I worked in orthopedics for years so I had some first hand knowledge of how to get around and what to do and not do. Full recovery takes a good year and I knew if I didn’t get them both done at once I probably wouldn’t do it again and if I was down and out with one why not two. It was a dumb theory but I’m glad it’s done and over with. If you need someone to talk with please do not hesitate I’ll be here for you I also joined a Facebook page I survived a bunionectomy it was a great help. Good luck with your healing.
    • Posted

Hi Sue

Thanks for the support. Well I wasn't given it as an option but I'm still not sure I could have done it.

I'm hoping it a bit like child birth, after a while you forget how bad it got so you decide to have another one. : )

• Posted

Hi,

I had my right foot done in March 2016, and finally had the left dealt with at the end of January this year.  I wasn't given the option of both at the same time, because I had severe bunions on both feet, so the extent of the surgery needed was more serious (I think this makes a big difference to the viability of a bilateral treatment).  In any event, I'm really glad I didn't do them simultaneously, as I would definitely never have coped!  My house has four floors......

I had thought to do the second one a year later, but it's true that the prospect of going through it all again is daunting, and as I didn't have much pain I procrastinated.  But you're right, the memory of the pain  and boredom does fade and the contrast between the good and the bad foot becomes more and more striking.  So I bit the bullet and am now so glad I did! I'm now two and a half months post-op and managed a three hour walking tour last weekend around Milan!  (OK, it was slow, and the last hour was uncomfortable but I did it!!).  Many here have commented that no two ops are ever the same, but at least the second time around you know what to expect, and it's easier to accept that full recovery is a long haul with no short cuts. And I would say that this time I am recovering more quickly even though the treatment was more extensive (big toe fusion and  osteotomies on my second and third toes). Perhaps waiting two years was a little excessive, but I don't really regret it.

• Posted

Having worked in orthopedics, I’m curious as to which kind of shoes you feel work best? I’ve been trying all kinds. I like the brand Hotter the best so far. 

Thanks! happy healing to us all! 

• Posted

Hi Dona, l need shoes with really good support and find earth origins, vionic and Merrill work best for me.
    • Posted

I also did both feet and so glad I did ..would not have gone back for the other one. I walked with crutches in my heels and at home without. You just have to make sure your core is switched on. I had bunions...big toe reconstruction... arthritis and spurs done. I'm 4 months in and have walked up to 9 Km...still have some pain but to be expected....was back at work taking it easy though at 4 weeks as a Personal Trainer. I'm 56 and glad I did it ... it's a tough recovery but so is most things worth while 🙂

• Posted

I didn’t have pain but body rejected screws out come extreme heat so got screws out 10 months after , dr did say I could get them out after 10 weeks but thought nah then the heat started 🤣🤣

Seen surgeon on Tuesday and all good but I have to walk with weight on big toe 

As I have been favouring right side ( not good) and keep voltaran cream on for another month massage into the small incisions so I don’t get scare tissue

• Posted

Hi Kim

I had both feet done together but totally understand where you're coming from. From what people say...you will want the other foot done after a few months of feeling good and being bunion free...so the pain and trauma memories must fade with time.

I had a similar dilemma with having so much down time and having to rely on others for so long, which prompted me to go along with having both feet done at the same time. My husband is having to take time off work to be at home to help me and take care of the children. It's daunting knowing you'll be doing it all over again but you're going into it with your eyes wide open this time which I think will make a massive difference to you. You'll be better prepared and kinda know what to expect. Do it sooner rather than later if you want my opinion!

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Kim!  I am three months post op after surgery on my second foot.  My surgeries were intense---a lot of corrections had to be made.  Before surgery, I was unable to walk for more than a half hour before I had to sit down to rest from the pain.  I came out of surgery with a splint for two weeks, then a new splint for two weeks, then a plaster cast for a month and then a boot for a month.  I am relearning to walk now.  I did go to pt after the first surgery and only did pt for a couple of weeks after the second, as I had already learned what to do.  I had my surgeries three months apart.  I have kids that I need to keep an eye on once they are out of school so I really needed to at least be on the mend for a couple of months before they are out of school.  Yes, it was a huge ordeal but it was good for the kids to learn to care for me and help me along.  They are much more aware that mom needs help now and again as well as themselves now.  Also, I figured, as long as everyone was used to helping out---why not extend the time before everyone gets out of the "all hands on deck" way of life.  My feet have no pain like they did before and when you see the xrays, you'd never know they were the same feet.  Also, I had read from many sources, that if you let too much time go by without doing the second foot, your hips and back could get thrown off.  I had to have tendons, and muscles put back in their correct places as well so that was a major concern for me.  I am so glad that all that is behind me--it was difficult but no where as difficult as walking with the tremendous pain.  I am still recovering but all is going well.  My surgeon said I was healing great when I saw him last week.  The hardest part is just realizing that training your feet to walk the correct way is something that takes time and it is painful for the muscles to get used to moving the correct way again.  I am just beginning to be able to go down the stairs rotating feet.  My stamina is much better, but, it did take a good month or so (with lots of muscle pain) to achieve.  I am starting to walk out in the neighborhood now that the snow has ended.  I am waiting to drive until I feel safe just because people drive crazy here where I live and my feet still get swollen if I walk for too long.  These surgeries are no joke but there is a new sense of total freedom once it is done, for sure!!!

• Posted

Hi Tami

When I'm having a good day I think" Of course I can do this again" on other days I'm not so sure.

I get the feeling I won't know till this pot comes off and I try walking.

Thank you for the input.

• Posted

The secret to it all is a little at a time.  It is a step by step process.  But, even though it seems like a long time when you are in the middle of it---it is short compared to your whole life.  My arches had also dropped and  now I have arches again.  It is a big surgery but I found it to be totally necessary.  Just know that it takes a while to build up your stamina and muscle strength.  Also, I was not offered having both feet done at once either--I think I just needed too much work done.  I have a plate and three permanent screws in both feet.  If I had to do it all again, I absolutely would.  I had let it go too long and the pain was majorly intense---like bones walking on cement for every step. Hang in there and take really good care of yourself---you will have your feet for the rest of your life.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.