What am I dealing with?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I haven’t been officially diagnosed any disorder except OCD, and I suspect that this is something very different. What ever I have interferes with my life most when I am trying to get mental work finished. For example, when I was in college, it was extremely hard for me to sit down and write an essay on material that bored me; the continual desire to stop was almost irresistible. Reading a textbook of boring material was also a struggle. For instance, every few minutes of reading, I’d have the strong urge to stop reading and go do something that entertained me. The absolute worst part is that after I tackled one single assignment, I would feel completely exhausted--mentally and physically--so, I would try to stretch my assignments out over the whole week such that I’d only have to complete one a day. The problem with this is that I was in a pretty easy college; if I get into my dream college, I am sure I’ll be doing more than one assignment a day. Historically, doing more than one assignment a day amounted to the second assignment being done half-assed. Moreover, this routine of getting through school was very detrimental to my learning: I can't remember hardly anything I studied in college (probably because I finished the work in a very superficial way [e.g., short term memorizing and cramming for tests]).

Now that I think about it, this seems to spread out to other areas of my life. For example, after an 8-hour shift at my job, even if the work wasn't all that hard, JUST because I viewed it as work, I'd have to go home and "play" (anything other than what I viewed as work) afterwards, or I would feel really stressed, irritable, and like I had no life. College work is the same way: after finishing a procrastinated assignment, I'd feel a strong urge to not do anything else the rest of the day except for play. Also, sometimes my interest level doesn't seem to affect anything, such as when I'm researching answers to a question that I am passionate about. If the material gets complicated at all, I lose interest--although it is a question that I am passionate about and interested in. I can't seem to get anything done anymore; I'm not motivated and not energetic enough to try. I put off everything to the future, and my much needed career research and religious studies just aren't happening. It's possible that my malaise and fatigue (I have been diagnosed with this) may have a lot to do with everything, but I'm not certain. Since I need to go back to college soon for studying my passion--something I should actually be learning about--I really need help with this issue.

Thank you for listening,

Shane

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

At school if I liked the teacher I worked really hard. I loved English, and would ask for homework.

Another teacher taught Geography - no way

In sscience I had aa teacher who called me doppy Linda, it worked I started to pay attention..

Its hard but I now. have 26 NVQ credits

Keep at it.

I am now doing a computer course to keep my brain alive xx

• Posted

At school if I liked the teacher I worked really hard. I loved English, and would ask for homework.

Another teacher taught Geography - no way

In sscience I had aa teacher who called me doppy Linda, it worked I started to pay attention..

Its hard but I now. have 26 NVQ credits

Keep at it.

I am now doing a computer course to keep my brain alive xx

• Posted

hi shaney thanks for sharing your experience and your thoughts, do you know that what you've explained, lack of interest and fatigue etc, the lack of desire to do anything, sounds like depression to me, that's how i felt when i first started with depression.  had no interest in anything at all and didn't want to go out or see anyone, it's a horrible feeling.  i'd go to your doctors and see if they can help you, but good of you to get on here and vent, that helps too :-)

• Posted

Thank you for the replies! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.