What are herpes outbreaks like?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I was diagnosed with HSV-1 recently but had my first outbreak on my genitals and it was honestly the most painful thing I've ever been through in my entire life. I couldn't even walk for days. All I did was take like 5 baths a day to help soothe it and to go pee which I tried to avoid at all costs. Can anyone tell me what their outbreaks are like after their first? Are they always going to be that miserable? I just want to know what to expect. Will I be practically bedridden like I was during my first outbreak?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I guess you can say that it differs for everybody .

My first outbreak was horrible also .. But I still went to work . Went to school and all that .. I guess my pain tolerance is just high .

I got diagnosed December 15th, 2015

And I haven't really had any other outbreaks .. I think I get occurrences every now and then ..

But it's nothing painful .

Like a couple days ago it felt a little pressured to wipe down there so I felt around and I could feel a lesion / blister bump thing but I put a&D ointment on there and its gone now

I don't know if it's a full outbreak or a reoccurennce im not quite sure I just don't wanna go through the full body / clusters on my vagina like the first outbreak I had to completely wait for my skin to heal over after peeling off and going pee was painful because the urination burns and irrates the skin ..

And I learned if you don't clean and wipe properly it can lead to an yeast infection / BV ..

So it just differentiates for everybody ..

Seeing how as you have type one I wouldn't of figured it would take this long .. At all

• Posted

You should defintely consider suppressive medicine I heard it can help out alot
  • Posted

Hi there, I'm really sorry your first outbreak was so painful! Everyone's immune system is different so we that have it experience it differently. Your first outbreak should be your worst and they should become milder the more outbreaks you get! There are lots of things you can do to get your immune system stronger to prevent frequent outbreaks. I recommend you buy yourself some lysine vitamins, take one a day everyday. Also your diet is very important, if you eat crap this will encourage your body to have outbreaks. Try and eat lots of veggies! If you have anymore questions please dont hesitate to ask
    • Posted

Thank you!! My first outbreak was only about 3 weeks ago but only lasted about 5 days. which I hear a lot of people have their first OB for like 2 weeks so I think I'm pretty lucky. But after all the lesions cleared up I got really bad pink eye, I'm pretty positive as part of the outbreak. I got it in both eyes along with styes that are just clearing up today. Hoping the occurrences aren't very frequent
    • Posted

I'm not sure about the pink eye, I've never heard of it actually? Glad to hear your outbreak didn't last too long and as someone said below, your doc should definitely prescribe you with Acyclovir and if they haven't then book a gp appointment asap and ask for some. I was very lucky as I have a very mild case of herpes so when I have an outbreak I get 1 spot which rarely even blisters! But when I feel an outbreak coming which by the way you will also probably know ( you will get a weird uncomfortable tingling feeling) I will take my Acyclovir to prevent it from coming out or to just have it clear up faster!
  • Posted

If you have Genital herpes outbreak, you must take your Acyclovir or whatever the Dr prescribed you. It will go away within 3 days then. so you dont have to deal with it. remember to wear a loose underwear so it doesnt rub. and do not forget the Acyclovir prescription it will seriously make it go away fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.